Linguaholic

Korean Drama

Cookiesandcream

I always find it super fun to learn a new language by watching a movie. I know Korean dramas are really popular and the only one I've watched (well, a couple of episodes) is Boys over Flowers. This seems to be a very popular one. Oh I also watched 2 episodes of Good Doctors. I would love any recommendation on any korean drama or movie. Preferably one that I can find with subtitles. :)

• 3 months later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Here are a few of my favorites, all are available with English subs. I watch on Drama Fever.

Rooftop Prince

My Name is Kim Sam Soon (also called My Lovely Samsoon)

Goong (palace)

You're Beautiful

Hello! Aegisshi

When It's At Night

Sungkyunkwan Scandal

Hang Jin-I

Dae Jang Geum

I Really Really Like You

My Girl

What Planet Are You From

Couple or Trouble

There are so many good ones! It's hard to list them all... But I learn a lot of new words and phrases from watching them :)

• 6 months later...

Hey,

Have you seen "The Liar Game"? It was amazing, I absolutely loved it, even though I know nothing about Korean and had to go with the English subtitles.

Ania

• 2 weeks later...

i Saw the first 1-2 episodes of "The Liar Game", when i have time i will continue seeing it. 

I watched "49 days", a dramatic drama that was absolutely beautiful, i watched it 2 times and i'm sure i'll watch it again in the future :laugh:

I am currently watching "Stairway to heaven", a drama of 20 episodes, which is not bad too, i'm only at the second episode now, i'll let you know if is good in the end :) it inspires me a lot btw.

i Saw the first 1-2 episodes of "The Liar Game", when i have time i will continue seeing it. 

I watched "49 days", a dramatic drama that was absolutely beautiful, i watched it 2 times and i'm sure i'll watch it again in the future :laugh:

I am currently watching "Stairway to heaven", a drama of 20 episodes, which is not bad too, i'm only at the second episode now, i'll let you know if is good in the end  it inspires me a lot btw.

Tell me, is there some kind of love story in those two? I enjoy love stories :)

49 days is about a dramatic love story. A girl is about to marry but she goes in coma after a car accident, but a guy appears and tells her that he is a "scheduler", a guy who carry dead people to the other world with an elevator, but tells her even that she has the opportunity to chose between 2 options: 1: she die, 2 she became a sort of "ghost" (which can't interact directly with the human world, during the day she use the body of a woman that is related in some way with the story. the woman doesn't have to know nothing about her) and has 49 days to collect the tears of 3 different persons who really loved her when she was alive (not in her family anyway). To do this she has to make someone cry for her pure tears. If she succeed, she can return alive, but if she fails she die anyway. 

This drama really made me cry, the actress Nam Gyu Ri is sooo beautiful (the boys too obviously :rolleyes:)

Stairway to heaven is about love too.  Han Jung-suh  and Cha Song-joo are childhood friends and have a special bond that blossoms into love. They both share the pain of losing a loved one: Song-joo's father died in a traffic accident and Jung-suh's mother died of eye cancer. Jung-suh's father  marries an actress named Tae Mi-ra, who brings her real daughter, Han Yoo-ri , and son, Han Tae-hwa into the household. Yoo-ri is jealous of Jung-suh, making her look terrible in front of her mother, who begins to turn on Jung-suh. When Jung-suh's father leaves for work, her stepmother assaults her. She thwarts Jung-suh's attempts to study abroad with Song-joo, who then leaves for America alone. Mi-ra plots for Yoo-ri to win the affections of Song-joo. All the while, Jung-suh tries to be nice to Tae-hwa, but he mistakes her friendship for something more, and falls in love with her. (wikipedia)

Hey,

Have you seen "The Liar Game"? It was amazing, I absolutely loved it, even though I know nothing about Korean and had to go with the English subtitles.

Ania

Is this the Korean version of the "Liar Game" manga series? I've only seen the drama in Japanese... I didn't know they had a Korean version too. 

Is this the Korean version of the "Liar Game" manga series? I've only seen the drama in Japanese... I didn't know they had a Korean version too. 

Yes, I've heard that there is a Japanese version.

Korean Liar Game is really cool. I don't study Korean and I've never been in touch with anything Korean (other than my Samsung phone :)) beforehand, but I really enjoyed the series a lot.  Thank God for those who make English subtitles!

Here's the link to the asianwiki about it:

http://asianwiki.com/Liar_Game_(Korean_Drama)

I really enjoyed these shows and think you will, too:

Big (pretty much anything by the Hong sisters)

To the Beautiful You

My Love From Another Star

The Heirs

Secret Garden

Playful Kiss

Reply 1997

The previous commentor also gave really good suggestions. My ultimate favorite is still To The Beautiful You and it has an amazing soundtrack. I learned some Korean from the songs, too.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gu Family Book yet. I found the pacing and story-line to be incredible. The end of every episode had a cliffhanger that just made you want to watch the next episode. A lot of times with Korean dramas the acting seems to flip flop. It's like one scene the actor really seems to be in love with the character and the next scene they're acting really cold. However I didn't experience this problem with Gu Family Book. The love was slow and budding but if really felt genuine, and the crying scenes were riveting. When they cried it wasn't a pretty pose for the camera one tear style cry. I could feel their pain, it made me cry. The plot was excellent. It's about a boy who is half kumiho who struggles to find out about his real family while trying to protect the one that raised him. The special effects were also semi-believable. Asian supernatural dramas tend to throw in special effects that are really cheesy super fake looking. But this drama kept the special effects to a minimum(using blue lights at the most). The ending is bittersweet but it's a must see in my book. Also seconding My Love From Another Star, the acting gets kinda annoying(it flip flops) but it's a solid drama with a nice plot. The ending could use some work though, you'll find out why when(if?) you watch it. 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a big Kwon Sang Woo fan. So the ones I can recommend are those with him in it. My two favorites are Queen of Ambition - a 2013 TV Series and Bad Love (2007). I also enjoyed watching the following:
Cinderella Man
Temptation

I mostly watched them in YouTube with English subtitles.

I still couldn't get over my favorite koreandramas although they are old and there are new ones coming out which are also good ones. I love Autumn in my heart, Spring waltz, Winter sonata, Summer scent ( I don't know if it's the exact title as they usually change it if being shown in another country). I love love Kill me, Heal Me. Save the last dance for me, Heartstrings, Lovestory in harvard, Stairways to heaven, Full house and Dae Jang Geum. 

• 6 months later...

For movies, I highly recommend Heaven's Postman and Miracle in Cell No. 7. Just a tip for Miracle in Cell No. 7: have a box of tissues on hand. I never bawled as much as I did, it's actually embarrassing. 

As for dramas, it takes a lot to impress me, but of the ones that did are Secret Garden (a classic that's been parodied dozens of times over), Shut Up Flower Boy Band and Rooftop Prince. And if you want to brush up on your satoori, Reply 1997, 1994, and 1988 are a must. In my six years of watching K-dramas, no drama has affected me as much as the whole entire Reply series. It's not overwhelmingly dramatic, which in turn makes it feels more relatable even if you weren't born in the pre-contemporary Korea that it's based around. It's also rightfully suspenseful and the most funniest thing. If you ever want to fangirl with me about Reply, my DM's are open :^)

• 1 month later...

I love watching Korean dramas, they are one of the reasons I really considered learning Korean.  There is nothing worse than patiently waiting for your favorite drama to be subbed completely.  The pain, the agony, and the realization that you're not even remotely patient.   My first k-drama was 미남이시네요 You're  Beautiful (or He's Beautiful/depends on the site).  I'm currently watching Moon Lovers:Scarlet Heart Ryeo and Cinderella and Four Knights.  Honestly, I've watched the original Chinese Scarlet Heart and was expecting it to be more serious but IU is just so cute in it.  The outfits are gorgeous.  Cinderella and Four Knights started out funny but it's slowing down, but hopefully it'll get more interesting soon.  What are you watching right now?