Linguaholic

Paper back novels are they being lost to ebooks?

NATASHA

I love to read and there is nothing better than the smell of fresh pages in a new book whilst relaxing on a deck chair and flipping the pages, when you are in need of a break yo then use a bookmark to keep your place and this to me is a fantastic way to read. The ebook has taken over from paperback and do you think that we will finally lose the paper and all conform to internet and ebook reading?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I am not a big fan of the ebook and I don't see it taking over from paper back books at all. I also think that there are many others out there like myself who would rather hold a book in their hands than having to go to their computer each time they need to continue reading a book.

Having a paper back can be somewhat of an advantage not only because you get to handle it but also because if you are careful you can stock your books on a shelf, look at them for years and even hand them over to your future generations.

I love the smell of paper myself. While I prefer paperbacks to e-books, I recognize that technology will soon take over and paperbacks will become things of the past. I, however, don't think it will happen in my lifetime. But who knows..

• 4 weeks later...

I think that paper back novels will still remain even after technology introduces other ways to read information. Every now and then, I like to visit the library. When I moved to my place of residence last June I searched and found a library nearby. They have so many books that I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I visit. Without a shadow of doubt I think that paper back novels have their place and will therefore remain.

I think that paper back novels will still remain even after technology introduces other ways to read information. Every now and then, I like to visit the library. When I moved to my place of residence last June I searched and found a library nearby. They have so many books that I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I visit. Without a shadow of doubt I think that paper back novels have their place and will therefore remain.

Wow, that must have been an experience! The last time I visited a library was when I was a student in the university. Sadly, public libraries aren't a big thing where I am. But you're right, as long as there are people who will still support paper back novels, then they're here to stay. Unfortunately, some publishing companies have slowly embraced digital publications.

• 1 month later...

E-books have been around for a decade or more, but tangible books are still around and lots more are being published, so I guess that there will always be a market for those tangible books, otherwise they would not be around today and you won't see any more bookstores and libraries. I personally prefer e-books though, since they're free and they don't take up any space.

• 3 weeks later...

The technology also isn't quite as good as a paperback yet. There's still eye strain, the difficulty of making legible notes (styluses are getting better and better but they aren't quite the same as pen on paper yet), battery life, availability of rare titles, and so on...

I like having a large collection of paperback books and the feel of one in my hand, but I also recognize that in the next 10 to 20 years ebook technology is going to make such advances that it'll almost certainly replace a lot of my library.

When they have a device with 48+ hours of battery life, a natural-looking screen that doesn't cause extra eye strain, the ability to easily take and save legible notes, OCR and text search, every book available in digital format, and the ability to easily cross-reference a thousand other titles....that sounds like a dream to me as an academic. We're not quite there yet, but it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I don't think paperbacks are going away anytime soon. There are lots of others like yourself, who love to own physical copies of books for the sentimental value if nothing else. For me, I do most of my reading in bed, with the lights out, so you can imagine how it'd be easier for me to read ebooks.

I love how it is easy to check out an ebook from my library website, but they will never replace printed books for me. I just love to hold and feel them. It is so much easier to flip through a book than to scroll through an ebook.

I love how it is easy to check out an ebook from my library website, but they will never replace printed books for me. I just love to hold and feel them. It is so much easier to flip through a book than to scroll through an ebook.

I'm the complete opposite, haha. I tend to lose things, so I like having all my books in one place, plus for me, it's nice to have the ability to take your books with you everywhere, so you won't be sitting alone at a cafe or someplace WISHING you'd brought a novel to read

• 1 month later...

I love most to read with the paperback or the hardback in my hands. There's something simply invigorating about it. However, I also find the eBook convenient for books that might be harder to find or aren't immediately available anywhere else online via online bookstores or in book and mortar stores. I think the eBook and the actual book are complimentary to each other and I don't see one or the other going away any time soon.

I also love reading and I have always considered it a hobby. Ever since I was young, I was constantly reading. I´d read almost everything that was in our local library by the end of my primary school. Sometimes I brought home even four books.

Now when I think about it... I haven´t read a single BOOK book (paperback) in years. Ever since my secondary school, I have been reading ebooks. It´s not that I hate paperback novels, I simply like ebooks more. I don´t see very well and I have to wear glasses all the time, so the letters in paperback editions are too small for me. I get headache after half an hour of reading or so.

Ebooks are easier to read and more practical simply because I can enlarge the letters as much as I want. I can even change from large to extrra large and then back to large and so on. Reading doesn´t hurt my eyes anymore and I can enjoy it again. That´s my reason for shifting to ebooks.

I also love reading and I have always considered it a hobby. Ever since I was young, I was constantly reading. I´d read almost everything that was in our local library by the end of my primary school. Sometimes I brought home even four books.

Now when I think about it... I haven´t read a single BOOK book (paperback) in years. Ever since my secondary school, I have been reading ebooks. It´s not that I hate paperback novels, I simply like ebooks more. I don´t see very well and I have to wear glasses all the time, so the letters in paperback editions are too small for me. I get headache after half an hour of reading or so.

Ebooks are easier to read and more practical simply because I can enlarge the letters as much as I want. I can even change from large to extrra large and then back to large and so on. Reading doesn´t hurt my eyes anymore and I can enjoy it again. That´s my reason for shifting to ebooks.

yeah, I'm the same. I think it's mainly because I'm not sentimental towards paperback novels. They just clutter up my room more than anything.

At first I wanted to resist to the idea of reading an e-book, because in my mind nothing could beat having the book in my hands!  Sadly I had to get used to it, specially now that I've got several grammar books and other courses in PDF format.  The good things is that you can electronically highlight them :)  You can even write on them if you want!!! So I'm doing all the exercises of the workbook right there.  Pretty cool!  I'd still prefer having a paper copy, but no choice for now.

I guess very soon the printed works will vanish, in a way I think that is great for our planet, specially our trees. I think our forests will appreciate it.

Same here, but it's amazing how many books you can carry around in electronic format.  I might ask my beau for a kindle next Christmas :)  The one I want it's only $199, so we will see :P  I really miss the printed books, the feel of the pages, writing on the pages (when using the workbook of certain language courses), but I guess this new trend will help our world a lot... maybe we will use less trees now?

• 2 months later...

Paper back novels will always have their own charm: you can hold them, have the satisfaction of turning the page yourself and they have they're own unique smell. I tried to stay off e-books for a very long time, but after I got a kindle, I never went back.

E-books are more convenient and more portable, and you don't even have to worry about lighting when using an e-book. E-books are also better for tracking your progress through the book and how long you take to read the book. You can even search up new vocabulary more quickly and easily!

I think that paper back novels will always have they're own place, but with the new-found convenience of e-books, the real book copies will probably become more rare.

• 2 months later...

I honestly doubt it. Some people, like me, enjoy buying books - as in actual books, not the digital ones. For me, personally, it also applies to other things such as, say, music albums. With iTunes being available in pretty much every country, people have full access to music more than ever. With one or two clicks on your mouse, it'd start downloading and you'd be able to enjoy the music you want in no time. But not for me. I actually prefer going out and buying the music albums. I don't know why - maybe because I'm a collector, or maybe it's just a personal preference.

I am a book hoarder so I would always prefer paperback over ebooks. However, with the advent of modern technology, it seems like people are finding it more convenient, not to mention cheaper, to purchase ebooks than physical/real books. Well, I don't think paperback would go extinct in the future though. I am keeping my hopes up about that.

• 3 weeks later...

That is true to some extent. This industrial age has digitalized pretty much everything. They say it's for convenience' sake, but there's something about reading paperback novels (and I can't explain it) that most digital copies lack. It's not just the feel. It's the spirit of reading.

• 3 weeks later...

Paperback novels are still the fun way to read. Holding a printed book in my hands is mentally and physically invigorating. E-books are convenient but they strain my eyes.

New bookstores are popping up in my city and already attracting many book lovers, so no, paperbacks are not losing to e-books :D

I certainly hope paper books will stay with us! I mostly read ebooks because I can fit thousands into my small phone, and they don't weigh a thing. But whenever I come across something really good, I buy the paper version so that I could someday reread it at home, touching the actual pages. One of my biggest dreams is to have my own library room someday :)