Linguaholic

Best Way to Polish Language Skills?

Joop69

Hello, I am bi-lingual. Having moved abroad from my country of origin and having been brought up a different language than that of the country I left I can see my ability of that language fading. I've been wondering, what is the best way to polish up your language skills? Occasionally I write to my friends in that language but are there better and more efficient ways?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It is true that ones ability to communicate in a language that the person was once fluent in can diminish if  the level of communication decreases over a period of time. I believe that the best method of maintaining fluency of a language would be to communicate verbally more often with native of the particular language. Verbal communication does allow you to interact more and clarifications can be made at the same time.

I also grew up bilingual, and the way I keep up my language skills is to communicate with my relatives and friends on a regular basis. They always send me plenty of material to read and explore, making sure that I am up to date with the latest developments in their life and country.

• 4 weeks later...

You are doing the right thing by writing in that language. The more you write the better you get at it. Another way to polish the language is to talk with a native often. They will point out when you make a mistake so that you can learn faster. I believe that one can learn any language if they have the interest to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Writing is all good, but I think practicing your oral skills is even better. When I was learning French, I spent way too much time on writing, and that's where I excelled. I was too shy and lacked confidence to speak as often as it takes to really polish up on my French, my French lecturer was often shocked at how good my written French was! So for me, the best thing to do is to find a native speaker and keep practicing. As they say, practice makes perfect :)