Linguaholic

Live Chat

Cat

Is there a Live Chat on this forum?

Sorry for asking but if there is I can't find it  :sad:

wouldn't it be nice to have a live chat for each of the different language "Lounges"?  :grin:

nikolic993, your idea could be an alternative that might work but for that there already is the "conversation lounge" for any given lenguage... I think that implementing an actual chat would be better...

to embed a chat into a forum page all it takes is some html programming skills and a free chat service to hook up to (chatroll as an example...)

but to do so one must have administration privileges over this forum  :laugh:

This is a forum, not a chat website. This is why there is no chat function. I was thinking about it before, however I decided against it. This websites purpose is to gather written information about language, so a regular chat function would just work against that. Hope you understand my point  :grin:

kind regards

lingua

No swet, I understand, this is your virtual home an you decorate as you see fit  :wink:

I just tought that people may use it to practice what they learn... You know, after all, the action of talking is fun because it helps you to make new friends... Or to read a poem or watch a movie... and languages are but a means to this end and people learning languages may be infact eager to practice  :grin:

Anyway, thank you for answering  :laugh:

I also think that having a chatbox may also divert the member's attention and they will just post in the chatbox rather than in the forums. So I guess it would benefit the forum more by not having a chatbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one. I think the idea of a live chat is a great idea, it would give all us a lot of great benefits such as a more personal feel to our learning and it would be helpful in cases of language sharing!

I do agree that it should be considered!

• 1 year later...

I like this idea a lot. I think it would help to speed up the learning process as well in terms of exchanging knowledge.

At first I thought it would have been a good idea for each language to have a chat function, but it would be such a pain to moderate. I could see how the mods would be fighting tolls and bots the whole time. I think the focus should just be on the forum and I fully stand behind the admins on that decision. 

There is a "shoutbox" extension for IP.Board, as well as the official "IP.Chat" application (which costs money).
But I'm standing with Linguaholic about it, it's indeed meant to be a forum instead of a chatbox.
I could as well make a chat system just for language learning if I wanted, but there are apps that do a similar thing already, so why should I?

If @linguaholic is interested, I'm familiar with IRC so I could set up an IRC channel for this site.
But on the other hand, I'm well aware that external chats always lead to forums to die.
My sister is running a community with lots of people on it, but somebody else started a Skype group, claimed it was 'official' and a lot of people didn't bother to check out the forum any more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28.4.2016 at 8:05 AM, Blaveloper said:

There is a "shoutbox" extension for IP.Board, as well as the official "IP.Chat" application (which costs money).
But I'm standing with Linguaholic about it, it's indeed meant to be a forum instead of a chatbox.
I could as well make a chat system just for language learning if I wanted, but there are apps that do a similar thing already, so why should I?

If @linguaholic is interested, I'm familiar with IRC so I could set up an IRC channel for this site.
But on the other hand, I'm well aware that external chats always lead to forums to die.
My sister is running a community with lots of people on it, but somebody else started a Skype group, claimed it was 'official' and a lot of people didn't bother to check out the forum any more.

There will never be a chat feature here on linguaholic,com, that's for sure..as for the reasons Blaveloper already pointed out. It just does not make sense to integrate a chat function in this kind of forum. I guess it is easy enough to get in contact with someone by writing a PM and then just quickly exchange contacts (skype, whatsapp, wechat, whatever).

• 4 months later...