Linguaholic

Your Own Favorite German Word

tulosai

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Schadenfreude is my favorite because as far as I know there is not any other language that has a word specifically for this instance, which is so surprising because it happens so often for so many people. Also, I just think the word itself is very amusing and sounds very nice.

What about Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz?

Ha, where did you find that? If anyone asked me to come up with a word that would describe rules, regulations, bureaucracy, I would point them to this overwhelming word. Obviously beef processing is a very serious business and requires a lot of people to make sure that everything is controlled tightly along the way.

I am a vegetarian, so I will most likely never make use of this monster!

• 1 month later...

My German vocab is still very limited, but one of my favourites has to be good ol' "Kugelschreiber", ballpoint pen. It just sounds so..german and I get great satisfaction in saying the word out loud :D

Ah... I think I knew some very long word that I always loved to say.

I remember that my classmates in german class always found it funny that I could say "nationalsozialistische deutsche arbeiterpartei". And no, we weren't nazi's or anything... But naturally we spoke of the second world war, because it is related to germany.

One of the sentences i will never forget however, is "Ich bevurzuge käsewürstchen".

So I think my favorite word definately is "käsewürstchen" just because of that sentence. It might not be very funny for everyone else, but well... I'll explain.

I was playing an online game with a bunch of germans, and two of them which I played with regularly and talked with over skype. One of them told me to write in the chat (to the all the other germans) "Ich bevurzuge käsewürstchen" for some weird reason. I had no clue what it meant, so I just wrote it.

Everyone laughed their assess off, possibly because they might have been talking about something weird, and then he explained to me what it meant, and I laughed so much that i couldn't sit straight anymore.

Ever since then, I find that sentence to be a real bringer of good old memories, and I'm sure to never forget it. It may not be very funny for anyone else, but I find it very funny due to that memory :)

• 1 year later...

In general, any words with the soft "ch" sound are an automatic favourite. I just love the way that sound feels when I pronounce it. However, to be more specific, I like the word "glücklich." It's meaning is nice, and the way it feels in my mouth when I say it is just so different than anything I say in English. It feels like a very German word to me, if that makes any sense. Also, it's got that nice, soft "ch" sound that just feels so good to say.

• 3 months later...

Hm... I think mine is "Gemütlichkeit", because there is no real translation into English. It describes a warm, soft, nice feeling, for example when you lie in your bed. But it can mean so much more!

Something similar is "Geborgenheit". This describes a similar warm, soft and nice feeling in which you feel well protected.

• 5 years later...