Linguaholic

Being an English Teacher (EFL)

tulosai

Has anyone else here taught English as a foreign language for part of their careers? I only taught for one year but I really enjoyed it.  I was in France and it was really unique and rewarding to teach a language- you could really see people improve and mark their progress.  Does anyone else do this now or have you done it in the past? Did you enjoy it?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I haven't taught English, but I have had freelance jobs writing ESL companies, which I enjoyed vary much.  The process of learning to teach English taught me a lot about my language that I never knew or had never considered.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a short gig teaching ESL to Korean students last year. It was difficult at first, because I am not a teacher by trade. I had no knowledge of the fundamentals of teaching, let alone teaching English to non-English teachers.

However, it was a fun experience. I quickly picked up tips and strategies on how to teach them basic grammar and pronunciation. I even got to teach them public speaking. I'm still friends with my former students and we catch up once in a while. If I am asked to do this again and if I am not very busy, I'd gladly teach ESL again.

I believe the most important thing before you teach overseas is to get major certifications in ESL teaching. I think there are many community colleges offering short courses on English as a Second Language. With a small fee, and a dedication to night classes, they'd be more than happy to give you a certification after you accomplish they're requirements.

Good luck on your venture as an English teacher!

I am a teacher by profession and have enjoyed all opportunities to do this. One of my best experiences was to teach English to foreign students. For the most part, I had difficulty interacting with several individuals all at once who were of different nationalities. But thanks to listening to university professors and my passion for sharing knowledge, I was able to achieve my goals as well as my students' afterwards.

I've tried teaching English conversation ESL classes in Japan and just found it really stressful and difficult. My students often cancelled due to business trips and I couldn't reschedule to a different day so some months I made a lot less than I was expecting. Unfortunately I had to quit but my company encouraged me to keep one student cos her mother was really strict on what type of teacher and I apparently I was most suitable.

I actually work at Starbucks now (in Japanese) :D

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't taught English as a foreign language, but I have taught English at my church. I teach both writing and reading to elementary students, which is fun because I like teaching people new things. I have also helped my English teacher, who teaches English as a second language. I grade student's papers and edit their writings.

• 2 weeks later...

I was an English teacher since I was in Senior High School and I went to get my degree to teach English after I graduated. Though I never taught in other country,I've got a chance to teach people from China. My teaching experience had been great and I'd be first to say that if you plan to teach in other country,make sure you apply online before you go there. There's plenty of site where you could apply as English teacher and would get reply to teach there. The money might not be much but they provided a place for you to stay, take care of your visa and your ticket. It's a bad idea to go to the country and THEN try to haunt for the job.

Find your call is what I'd always say. I know I don't like teaching in school because school in where I come from have more than 40-50 students meaning it's hard to keep in tab of who makes progress and who doesn't. I love courses where one class only has probably 20 students the most.

My proudest moment was when I had my own beginner class where all my students were about 7 years old and knew nothing about English. From learning how to spell A to Z, they ended up being able to write short sentences or paragraphs. That's all my work and achievement. I was very proud of them.

I've learnt that if you're from Asia, it's hard to apply as English teacher to other countries because most countries prefer people from country where English is their first language. I used to think it's cool if you're born in those countries because you can travel to teach English while vacationing. One year contract done with this country,move to another. I met someone who was 24 years old and had been to Thailand,China,Vietnam and One European country to teach English.

• 3 weeks later...

I taught an ESL class in Morocco and had a fabulous time with it. I think a lot of people use teaching English as a sort of adult study abroad, and so you don't meet many people in it for a career. My best advice is to really research the certification programs available, and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been teaching English as a foreign language in France for the last eight years nearly. I started off working for the Chamber of Commerce teaching a wide variety of classes and then set up on my own running total immersion classes.  It is a very rewarding job and a very sociable one too as I have met loads of super people many of whom have become good friends! Teaching a language for me has to be fun and relevant- the last thing you want is a bored student on your hands!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been teaching English to Koreans for almost 6 yrs now and I must say I have learned a lot about their culture as well. I do enjoy teaching English as it is my favorite subject since I was still a student. I also gained a lot of friends through my teaching classes. :)

• 2 months later...

I taught ESL for a year and a half in Seoul, South Korea. I found it to be rewarding, but also very frustrating. The rewarding parts were watching as these six year olds learnt more and more about the English language. It's amazing how much kids are able to absorb! At the age of six, a few of them were already almost fluent speakers. The frustrating parts were mostly dealing with the cultural differences between myself and Koreans. Overall, I recommend teaching ESL abroad, you learn a lot about yourself!

I taught for a year in Taiwan. It was great being able to interact with so many interesting students and coworkers. However, the companies over there see foreign teachers as easily replaceable. Because of this, no matter how hard you work they rarely show any appreciation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm teaching right now in Moscow, Russia.  I was a teacher before in Chicago, so I had some experience teaching but none with ESL!  I am very much enjoying my job, though, and I would encourage anyone considering it to definitely make the leap--at least for a year or two. 

• 2 months later...

Teaching ESL is fun. It is not the easiest job especially if you have demanding parents or school management that doesn't care much for the teachers. However, the experience is awesome and I think it is a rewarding career for some people. I think preparation for class each and every day is the key. Also patience.

• 1 month later...

I am a certified ESL teacher and have been teaching for about five years. It's my "second career" after spending many years in the graphics/printing business. I love it! I lived and taught in Moscow for two years. Now I'm back Stateside, and most of my teaching is online. I have taught students from countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and South America. I prefer face-to-face teaching and I love teaching in a classroom. In Moscow, I had private students, both children and adults, and I taught in a private school and two public schools. I miss it every day!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been an English teacher for the past 12 years. After earning my CELTA certificate in New York at Embassy C.E.S., I went off to teach in South Korea for three years. It was wonderful there except for the bitterly cold winters.

Next, it was; and still is for now; Thailand.

Who knows where my next port of call may be.

I love the sense of purpose, and giving of myself to the global community, that I get from teaching. It is good to know that I'm helping people improve their experience of life by expanding their communication channels.

Teaching English is a very rewarding profession, as well as a great way to travel and see more of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to do something like this. I've seen job placements for it advertised, but it looks as though it would take along time to set up. I don't want to apply for it, get accepted, and then have to wait around for 6 months until I go to another country.

Does anyone have an experience with this?

• 3 weeks later...

I taught English in China for a year. I really enjoyed it for the most part. The stress was minor compared to any job I've had in the U.S. And what little stress there was came from a bad apple of a coworker. I have a degree in English and Education, some work experience, and now this one year of teaching abroad experience. I am also planning to get TEFL certified at some point and then head out into the world again. Good luck! It will be a lot of fun.