Linguaholic

What language do you plan to learn this year 2015?

elenamarie

Did you make a list of language/s you want to learn this year? I plan to learn Italian and Spanish. I think they are easy to learn together because there are some words that are similar. I might move to Europe soon so it will be very useful. What about you?

I have been learning Spanish for a while now, and 2015 is going to be a year in which I want to become a lot more efficient in conversational Spanish. I have enrolled in an online course, as I already have the basics. I just need to improve my grammar and build up my vocabulary. So, this year is going to be very Spanish for me. :)

Learning languages is such a passion for me and this year I plan on focusing on learning French and some Swahili. I think I will achieve this because I already have some French background and as for Swahili I feel it's a bit on the easy side of things.

All the best with your quest.

Elenamarie, I wish you all the best with your plans to move to Europe! I hope you have a fantastic time while you're there.

My two favourite languages are Italian and French, in that order. I learnt French first, and later on Italian. I also found similarities here and there. If I had the money, those are the ones I'd learn some more of. But Alas! that has to be shelved for now due to financial constraints :(

I want to learn Italian too. But currently I'm still studying Hindy and the script is a bit hard for me but I'm getting the hang of it. I already know Spanish so yes, they're quite similar so I don't think it'll be that difficult. Good luck :) And I wish I could live in Europe too, I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun.

I am planning to learn and complete my basic Nihongo class this year.  Our classes will end sometime in May.  Of course, I always make it a point to answer the exercises in my textbook even before classes start, as well as doing all class assignments.  I may learn other languages from time to time, but right now Nihongo will be my focus of study.  If fate allows me, I may want to travel to Japan, but right now I should focus on learning my basic Nihongo first.

A serious attempt at Japanese. Not this kids level stuff, but actual well informed Japanese sentences and the ability to able to hold simple conversations at the very least. I have a firm grasp and understand of some of their words and how they mean what they mean, but if you asked me to write in the language aside from Romaji I would fail, and still probably get the sentences wrong. But if it's spoken to me, and slowly, without a heavy accent I can understand it fairly well.

I've always loved Japanese but was too scared it would be too difficult to learn. But you only live once, right? Might as well try to learn it.

I'm planning to learn the French language. I was thinking that it would be a pretty good language to learn because well there are a lot of French tourist around certain areas, and I'd like to be able to guide them even though I'll just be a passer by. And who knows, I might even pick up a girl in my newly learned language.

I plan on improving my French, my German and start learning bits of Russian.

My dad is 1st generation Romanian and bi-lingual. If you wake him up amidst the night his first response is "chto?", which is Russian for "what".

He never saw any motivation to teach my brother or I Russian even though my mom wanted us to learn.

Well, I think 2015 (still not used to writing the dates, is it 2015 already? God...) is the year for my German. Since I'd finished high school, I'd simply forgotten about it. With English and Latin at the university... it's a little busy, but I hope I'll manage. It's time to freshen things up. I really miss German.

I am also thinking about continuing with Spanish. I haven't yet decided as I'd finished the classes for the Basic course... we'll see.

By the way, I don't know whether it's a good idea to learn two new similar languages. Sometimes it happens to our students who study Italian and then come to Spanish that they confuse the words and such, so think about it.

To be frank, I have no plans on learning a new language this year. Howevr, I do plan to improve on my Spanish and French. Hopeful I have big improvement and greater confidence.

I'm planning on learning Irish. My mums side of the family are Irish heritage so I'd like to know more about the culture and language of my ancestors. I've also been living in the UK for the past 12 months so it could prove useful if I end up spending time over there.