Linguaholic

Which book have you read that tugs at your heart?

takibari

One of my recent favorite authors is Jodi Picoult. I find her storytelling so compelling and her topics so heartbreaking. I could never read a Jodi Picoult book one after another - or in immediate sequence.

The first one I read was Change of Heart and there's Handle with Care. These two by far are the books that truly tugged at my heart. They were a difficult read because of the moral dilemmas, but they were so beautifully written that I find Jodi Picoult a truly gifted writer.

What other books have you read that just tugs at your heart?

• 4 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

For me, it's still the children's books that leave the most impact. I don't know why. Each time I read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery I cry like a baby. Another children's book that makes me emotional is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. It's a bit weird because other books such as the Fault in Our Stars don't have the same effect on me.

That is hard to answer, because I easily cry when the protagonist is dying or has died in movies or books. :laugh: Even in those poignant short stories like "The Little Match Girl" by Hans Christian Andersen, I still shed a few tears when the little girl died. So I really can't name just one, because everything I read that is poignant really touches me.

I LOVE books by David Levithan. His novels are all so emotional and incredibly well-written. His book "Everyday" was so well done, totally tugged at my heartstrings

• 2 months later...

The Diary of Anne Frank gets me every time. Not only is it a true story but she wrote in such a way that you think she was an author! For such a well educated little girl to be able to have gone through so much is really an inspiration to me. One day I would love to travel and see where the home was where the family hid during the war.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Non-fiction books are always known to drive me crazy just reading them.  One book, The Mossad, which is the story of Israel's intelligence service, has chapters on the capture of Adolf Eichmann and the story of Israel's master spy Eli Cohen.  Whenever I read that book, my eyes will always focus primarily on those chapters.  On occasion, I also read most of the other chapters in that book, but I will always remember that book for making me focus on just those two chapters.  Another non-fiction book is The Terrorist Next Door by Daniel Levitas, and I am fascinated primarily by the relevance of a U.S. Civil War-era statute, the Posse Comitatus Act, to the various hate groups around the U.S. mainland.

I while back, I read 'Room' by Emma Donaghue. It was a very moving book, which everybody really should read. It can be quite strong and slightly disturbing at times, however it's a very powerful book which really moved me. The themes are mature at some points, but I think that if you're old enough you'll really appreciate this book.

• 2 months later...

There are two books that have totally made me shed tears. They are the novels, "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" by James Patterson, and "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. If you are looking for a book that would move you and leave you in awe, you should check those two books out. Really stunning.

• 1 month later...

No doubt The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I love anything war-themed (books, tv shows, movies) and this one not only piqued my interest because of the general theme but because it's protagonists are children and Death himself. It's a novel idea to me so I really enjoyed reading that perspective. The horrifying events of war are brilliantly captured in this books and I can guarantee that you will shed tears.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the books I've read tugged my heart. I guess I'm just the type to get so invested in stories that even run-of-the-mill emotional scenes are enough to generate tears. The books that have made a deep impression on me, though, are those written by Haruki Murakami, John Green, Anne Rice and Victoria Holt. Since there are far too many titles to mention, here are my latest favorites from each author: Sputnik Sweetheart, The Fault in Our Stars, The Violin and The Silk Vendetta.

These authors have the power to capture my suppressed thoughts and emotions in a nutshell. I feel like they're all looking through my soul.

• 1 month later...

Only one book had ever made me cry, and that was A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin. I was crying the entire time I was reading the last chapter. The book was about the experience of a soldier during the first world war, so of course people were going to die. I just never thought the book and the characters in it were going to affect me the way it did,

On 3/3/2015, 12:14:05, g2narat said:

For me, it's still the children's books that leave the most impact. I don't know why. Each time I read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery I cry like a baby.

The same here. I always find The Little Prince to be thought-provoking, makes me cry, warms my heart, and I believe every one should read that beautiful piece of art. I find it strange when I talk to people and they tell me they have never heard of that book. Makes me sad that they have not encountered the beauty that The Little Prince sees in everything that surrounds him.

There's this scene in a book written by Lexi Blake (I hesitate to put the title here because the theme may not be to everyone's taste) that always, ALWAYS gets me. It's about a woman who got in a horrific accident that killed her husband and baby daughter and rendered her unable to walk for a few years. The accident was caused by a teenager who was coming home from a party celebrating her high school graduation. The girl was actually a straight-A student who was looking forward to a bright future as a doctor, and she drank alcohol for the first time that night. In the scene, the heroine was explaining why she forgave the person who inadvertently caused her so much grief, and even donated practically all of her inheritance for the girl's tuition (the girl had lost her scholarship because of the charges brought against her). She said nobody could understand why she'd do such a thing. But she said that the girl OWED her. Her baby was already gone, but the girl could still use her talents to save countless others. The money she donated was meant to make sure that no one else loses a child like she did. She needed to know that something good would come out of her suffering.

I didn't do the book justice, but believe me, it was a well-written scene. I always cry buckets everytime I read it.

On 26/09/2015, 6:25:04, missbookworm said:

There are two books that have totally made me shed tears. They are the novels, "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" by James Patterson, and "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. If you are looking for a book that would move you and leave you in awe, you should check those two books out. Really stunning.

Oh, gosh - My Sister's Keeper! It is a truly heartbreaking book. I mean who do you side with? You can't blame the parents for wanting to find solution to their eldest child's health problem, but then you have the little sister who was conceived primarily to aid the ailing sister. Where do you draw the line? It took me a long time to read it because it was just too much to bear.

• 3 weeks later...

I think anything by Nicholas Sparks can give me a heartbreak. I especially loved The Notebook and A Walk to Remember. I mean, I know his books has generic themes of rural places where lovers meet, blah, blah, blah. But when I first read these two books, I was extremely heartbroken. You can actually feel the characters and their hardships. His latest books don't make me cry as much, at least not as much as these two books had.

• 3 months later...

Oh, I just recalled a book of Jodi Picoult that truly tugs at your heart too. One of that is a title called "Change of Heart". The plot if I remember correctly is something to do with a heart donor. Will you as a parent accept the heart of a felon convicted to deathrow for killing your child in order to save the life of your other child needing a transplant. Another book of hers I could remember is one called "Handle With Care." Its plot has something to do with 'what ifs'. What if you knew that your future child will have a costly debilitating condition, would you have gone ahead with the pregnancy? What if in order to provide proper medical and child care to your child, would you resort to suing your doctor when the act itself is an indirect admission that you would have rather terminated the pregnancy had you known.

It is these difficult dilemmas that I find very heart-wrenching in the stories of Jodi Picoult.

• 1 month later...

The last emotional book I read which is free in the public domain if any of you want to try it is called, "Old Yeller."

The story is set in the days of the pioneers. A boy adopts a stray a dog which gets to be a great companion that eventually sacrifices its life to save the boy's family. If you love dogs then this is a great book and as the story is interesting I think it's worth reading even though it will leave you feeling sad at the end.