Linguaholic

What is your opinion on language assessment?

Saholy

I am always looking for new ways to properly assess the progress of my language learning. Of course, if people are understanding what you are saying this is one way to note it. However, in my experience we do not like to be corrected on every detail of our efforts and therefore out of politeness people will not always correct us when we are wrong. I am enrolled in a public speaking course in the secondary language and have asked a native speaker to assess my overall language and write notes in an notebook. When our sessions are over, we get together and talk about my language use. I have found this to be very helpful. What about you? Do you have anything to say on the subject of language assessment?

So here in Vietnam, there's a video that went viral that talked about this. This guy who's studying in the States said "you're only fluent if you can pick up girls in bars", to which I was like...WHAT?? :confused:

Seriously, people forget that languages are just a tool to communicate. That's it.

Language assessment is a nice tool to determine how you are doing with the foreign language you are studying in relation to a previous performance (or your proficiency (or lack thereof) when you first started with lessons). If your intention is just to see how you are doing, then having another person track your progress is quite a great idea. The other person can provide you with a feedback mechanism that could prove helpful to you.

If, on the other hand, there is a goal to your learning the language in the first place, then - you had better take the appropriate proficiency test, and use those to track your progress. As regards English proficiency there are varied 'standardized tests' that can determine your English proficiency. For example, if you're a non-native English speaker and has intention to study in the U.S., then you had better take TOEFL and track your progress according to this standard. If, you intend to work in London or Australia, then it's IELTs or if it's Japan - then TOEIC, that you need to use to track your progress.

I'm not sure now, but I think your results for any of these exams are effectively only for two years, and after it has lapsed; you'll need to take it again. The premise for this rule is language can either deteriorate or improve depending on several factors.

I think this method is very useful and helpful and more people should be open to it. I agree that it's best if the correction can be done in class since getting corrected in regular conversation might feel a bit offensive. It's much better it just learn from your mistakes in a class where you can feel safe so as you don't have to make those same mistakes in daily conversation.

I am always looking for new ways to properly assess the progress of my language learning. Of course, if people are understanding what you are saying this is one way to note it. However, in my experience we do not like to be corrected on every detail of our efforts and therefore out of politeness people will not always correct us when we are wrong. I am enrolled in a public speaking course in the secondary language and have asked a native speaker to assess my overall language and write notes in an notebook. When our sessions are over, we get together and talk about my language use. I have found this to be very helpful. What about you? Do you have anything to say on the subject of language assessment?

That is a super brilliant idea!  I'll consider using it!!!!!  I liked it a lot, because you don't keep on interrupting the person with every little mistake they make, instead you can make notes and talk about it later!  Just awesome! This is definitely the way people should do a language assessment, there is nothing worse than you trying to read or speak in another language and get corrected immediately.  It's such a turn off!

• 8 months later...

I think language assessment is a really good idea.  The point you made about correcting people being thought of as rude is very accurate.  Personally, I would rather be corrected to my face than mocked behind my back.  I think it's great that you have someone who is willing to help you like that.  Sometimes you learn more from your mistakes than by just passing tests.

We all are aware of the fact that there cannot be progress without tracking it. How can you know that you have moved an inch if you do not measure the distance? First of all, language assessment is very important and therefore whether it is applicable is already out of the question. Second of all, the methods of implementing assessment are diverse. I would rather, that the methods of assessment be verbal and written which can involve creating new simple sentences or even reading a narrative and explaining the plotline.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a very helpful way that can mean a great deal to a language learner. Even if you were a very proficient language learner, meaning you are familiar with all the vocabulary assets, grammar and rules, in a very proficient way, it does not mean that your spoken language would be as efficient and as fluent. Therefore, it is a must for every learning individual to have language assessment at some point. They will get the feedback from a native speaker on their fluency, their pronunciation, use of grammar, etc. so that they can improve. As simple as that. I think this idea is brilliant, and I myself have had quite a lot assessments like this throughout my language acquisition.

As an ASL Interpreter/Teacher I think it's important to have an assessment done periodically however I also feel that the best way to learn any language is total immersion or at the very lease through socializing with native users of the language, whatever language that may be. The thing with a language is it's almost like a living thing meaning it grows and changes with the times. New words are added to it as are new rules at times. The biggest thing with getting assessments rather it be a professional one or through native users is it helps you to not only know if your doing it correctly, but it also helps you to find out just how much you actually understand when either hearing it or seeing it. I know with ASL receptive (seeing and understanding) skills are generally, not always, but generally the last thing to develop and the first thing to lose. it takes a lot of practice and as I always encourage my students the best thing they could do is go to a place in our case a Deaf social where there are lots of opportunities to use the language in question and get feedback.

\Also keep in mind that culture plays a huge part in learning a language, understanding the culture as well as the grammar syntax to the target language Even after 41 years and knowing this language all my life, I still will tell my Deaf and Hard of hearing or hh friends to let me know if I do something wrong regardless of how small it is because I know that that is the only way to learn. For all I know there may be a new way of signing something or a new term/slang to learn. In the line of work I do Interpreting as well as teaching, it's good to know all those things so if I mess up. I want them to tell me.

• 7 months later...

I personally judge myself on how quickly I can form the sentences for everything which I have to say.

I also judge myself on how clearly I can explain myself in the new language which I am learning. When I am able to assess both of these things it is much more easier for me to look into the progress and understand whether I am actually progressing on learning new words or not.

I think language assessment is a very good tool in determining how the progress of a learner on the language he/she is studying. It is also a way of correcting mistakes which will benefit the learner in the end especially if he/she is going to communicate soon using the language that he/she has just learned.

I always am looking for assessment tools. It's one of those things where you can't really know how well you're doing until someone grades you on it or looks over your work, otherwise you might just be headed in the wrong direction. I used to have a great fear over stuff like this because I worried that I wasn't progressing as fast as the rest of the class or was doing something wrong, but it all helps in the end. 

I see that you are learning French, there are a couple of test to determine your language proficiency. You could try the TFI from the people at ETS (The same ones from the TOEFL), but don't pay for the exam, what you should do instead is to search online for mock and preparation tests that usually give you a score once you complete them, at least for the reading and listening comprehension parts, there is no way for one of this tests to assets the level of your speaking and writing skills as a real human is required for this. 

The main function of a language is to communicate.If you can communicate in the language you are learning, that should suffice. However. what type of communication and the quality of communication also matters. Just like speaking, writing is also a mode of communication. You should be able to write well on the language. Reading is also communication. The author communicates with readers. You as a reader should be able to understand the author. If you an read, write and speak well,you are good with the language.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like to be corrected when I know the person begins to let their ego take over an assessment, or judgement. People will begin to become cocky, and I notice it as soon as they do it. Other than that, there are many professionals out there who do great assessments. 

I think it is a good idea, but I'd prefer the person to have much experience and as good reputation dealing with people because I will become irritated and think they are of no use to me when they start to get cocky.