Linguaholic

Yesterday's Nihongo midterm exams was difficult...or was it?

Yesterday afternoon, we had our first midterm exams in Elementary Nihongo 1.  So far, out of 200 points, I scored 181.  I think I suffered primarily in the writing and listening portions of the test, as I got 24 out of 30 points for writing and 32 out of 40 for listening.  My grammar is 97/100 and reading comprehension is 28/30.  My classmates are likewise competing for the tuition fee rebates, but for me, I'm not interested in the discount.  What is important is that my understanding of Nihongo is at an acceptable level.  Still, I wish I could have gotten higher.  I might not have known it, but I already have a desire to learn Nihongo even before I enrolled in the class.  I used to watch Japanese channels on cable TV before, such as NHK and WOWOW.  NHK World airs this 3-minute tutorial on the Japanese language.  If I also remember during my childhood, there used to be a documentary about Japanese society and culture being shown on a terrestrial channel.

• 7 months later...

Yesterday afternoon, we had our first midterm exams in Elementary Nihongo 1.  So far, out of 200 points, I scored 181.  I think I suffered primarily in the writing and listening portions of the test, as I got 24 out of 30 points for writing and 32 out of 40 for listening.  My grammar is 97/100 and reading comprehension is 28/30.  My classmates are likewise competing for the tuition fee rebates, but for me, I'm not interested in the discount.  What is important is that my understanding of Nihongo is at an acceptable level.  Still, I wish I could have gotten higher.  I might not have known it, but I already have a desire to learn Nihongo even before I enrolled in the class.  I used to watch Japanese channels on cable TV before, such as NHK and WOWOW.  NHK World airs this 3-minute tutorial on the Japanese language.  If I also remember during my childhood, there used to be a documentary about Japanese society and culture being shown on a terrestrial channel.

Nice one Grammar Cop. So it was not hard after all because you really did well I could see. I guess you came really prepared for the exam you had so keep up the good work. There is nothing like having a great interest in what we truly like and passionate about and trying to pursue it in whichever way we can. Just continue on and you are on your way into mastery of the language before you know. Keep it up and more power to you.

Nice one Grammar Cop. So it was not hard after all because you really did well I could see. I guess you came really prepared for the exam you had so keep up the good work. There is nothing like having a great interest in what we truly like and passionate about and trying to pursue it in whichever way we can. Just continue on and you are on your way into mastery of the language before you know. Keep it up and more power to you.

My final exams have pulled me down, unfortunately.  I think I scored 153 out of 200.  There were a lot of things going on in my mind as well as having some personal issues with my old man.  Because of external factors which could have contributed to my decline, my score was affected.  Overall, I scored an average of 82%, or 164 out of 200.  Though the score was more than enough for me to move on to the next level (we needed a minimum of 60% or 120/200), I felt that I needed to do more.  I have decided to do some self-studying for a while, refreshing up on my kanji and writing, since that was where I suffered.  I also have to focus more on the listening portion, since I was also weak there, as I scored only 22 out of 40.

Well, that's good my friend that you got to the next level and I congratulate you for that because that is still a great achievement despite what have happened that kind of affected your performance. This score though should not limit you from pushing harder next time and striving to move up the ladder towards mastery of the language you are trying to learn. I do think that when you are interested and really determined, you can go places and fly and this goes to all things in life as well. More power to you and good luck my friend and I hope for your success.