Linguaholic

Have you made a close friend that speaks your new language?

Saholy

Many people feel language is a barrier to close friendships. Have you found this to be so? Have you found a close friend who speaks the native language yet? Are they also fluent in your native language? What do you think can help to bridge the gap? This is something I am still trying to improve upon. I do have one or two close friends who do not speak my native language. But I know that they have to simplify their language to a great extent to speak with me so I'm not sure if they feel the same. They have given me the impression we are close but I have noticed when more complex problems have occurred in their lives, they couldn't come to me and fully express themselves. I'm hoping that one day my language will improve so that there is no barrier. But some of my friends say that culturally speaking, there will always be one. What do you think?

I have made close friendships with people talking other language but my own in the past, but making a friendship, a close one, that is, with someone who speaks the language I so desperately need to learn? No, not yet!  I sure hope so tho!  It would help a lot to have someone who can help me with their input and help me with a few grammar questions...

I met someone who might have friend material, but I'm not so sure yet. This person speaks the language I'm trying to learn, but only time will tell.  So far the person seems to very kind.

I have made a lot of friends speaking the language I'm learning, the French language. I think that language is indeed a bridge that closes the gap between people. I've made friends and acquaintances, but a CLOSE one, I haven't had yet, but I wish I could! I think I could learn faster if a have such a friend. However, I think that language may be a bridge, but it is not the totality in having someone as a close friend. Your qualities as a whole, and whether you have similarities and same interests are all taken into account. Language is a tool, you can make friends with it; likewise, you can also make enemies.

I have made foreign friends and acquaintances who speak English, but none as of yet that speaks my local language. Wait, I did have a British friend that speaks Tagalog, but she was born here, so that doesn't count. I do have one friend that speaks Spanish, and I can conveniently ask her if I want to know the meaning of something in Spanish. Language barriers can indeed pose a problem for friendships and communication in general, but with diligent studying and practice, it can be overcome.

I'm trying to learn Japanese and French but there aren't many french people here so I never get to practice it. I have made a good number of Japanese friends here though and they always help me with my pronunciations and grammar. I try to speak to them in Japanese when I can because I like to practice and I also just love the language, and they are cool enough to let me practice on them.

I like how MarcArgent put it and agree;

"I think that language may be a bridge, but it is not the totality in having someone as a close friend. Your qualities as a whole, and whether you have similarities and same interests are all taken into account. Language is a tool, you can make friends with it; likewise, you can also make enemies."

-and on that basis, to answer your question; I have a very close French friend but we became friends not solely because of my interest in her language, but because of other factors. She doesn't speak my native language, but we both speak English. She always availed herself if I needed help with French, but I never took full advantage of it. I do incorporate a few sentences in my emails to her, but that's about it.

I have made a few friends that speak the language I am interested in and although I wouldn't say that we are close friends when it comes to them helping me with the language they have always availed themselves and still do. I don't find it hard to converse with them because we all speak English, that makes communication easier and more open!

None of them speak my native language either so really when it comes to talking about important matters or discussing each others problems we stick to the language similar to all of us but throw in a few sentences from theirs in an attempt to help me learn quicker.

Language can certainly be a barrier because even though the person feels close to you they are just not able to express their thoughts in words. I haven't had a friend that speaks my new language as yet but I have a friend that is much more advanced in it and it does cause an odd feeling at times but I think it's just me since she really don't have a problem with my limitations.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! I find that it makes learning easier when you have someone to talk to!  :tongue: You can feel comfortable learning and your new friend can help you learn new words. They are always willing to help with clarification.

I've made a couple of French friends online over the years, but we aren't close, no. I think that has more to do with us not having much in common rather than the language barrier though.