Linguaholic

Hi, does sign language count?

longhair

I've always loved the idea of learning more Spanish, French or Italian, but sign language is the one language I had to pick up on for a little while. The lovely language using hands. I really wasn't sure if it would count here but I don't see why it wouldn't. It is another forum of word communication. I know you can't put sign language into words since it is Braille. I hope someone else has tried to learn sign language as well.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I'm sure it counts! It is a type of language, so I don't see why not :) I too have had the interest, but not the time. It's so funny how I used to think that sign language was universal! Just goes to show you how interesting it is, how little we all know about it!

• 3 weeks later...

I've always loved the idea of learning more Spanish, French or Italian, but sign language is the one language I had to pick up on for a little while. The lovely language using hands. I really wasn't sure if it would count here but I don't see why it wouldn't. It is another forum of word communication. I know you can't put sign language into words since it is Braille. I hope someone else has tried to learn sign language as well.

Hi,

I think, it is great you want to learn sign language.  Both of my in-laws (now deceased) lost their hearing at a young age, due to an illness. 

Coincidentally, I was taking a sign language class, when I met my husband.  I think it was destiny! 

I wonder, what do you mean by, "It is another forum of word communication. I know you can't put sign language into words since it is Braille"?

As, lushlala, pointed out sign language is not a universal language; nevertheless, it has universal features.  For example, when my mother-in-law traveled over to Europe from the United States, it was amazing how many people she met that spoke sign language.  She had no difficulty communicating with all of them!

Nice to "meet" you!