Linguaholic

Just when should I use a Semicolon instead of a Comma?

Jatelo2

I'm a freelance SEO and Academic writer but my main problem seems to be punctuation. Apparently, I do not know when to use a semicolon instead of a comma which has seen some of my SEO articles returned for revision or rejected altogether for gross grammatical incompetence.

Believing this is the right forum and section, I hereby put forward the question: When should I use a semicolon instead of a comma?

Thanks a bunch for helping out.

Hi there!  Well, that is a tricky one for most people, so don't worry.  Semi colons are often used to separate clauses, complex lists, also to merge two sentences in one, sometimes used before and and but.  It is more often seen used with ''but'', than with an... if you need more examples I recommend you to read more material and check what I just told you.

Hope this helps!  Best of luck with your writing!

• 1 month later...
Semi colons are often used to separate clauses, complex lists, also to merge two sentences in one, sometimes used before and but.

'There are those clothes I don't like; the ones made of cotton'. Did I use the semicolon correctly in the sentence?  I thank you for your help thus far

The basic rule of thumb is to treat the semicolon the same as you would a full stop. They aren't too common in everyday writing though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

treat the semicolon the same as you would a full stop.

I think this makes it simpler to use. So, just like I'd use a Fullstop to make the end of a sentence and the beginning of the next, so should I use a Semicolon?

I found something super useful the other day and I knew I had to share it here!!! It's so clear and well explained!!! After checking this one out I'm sure no one will have any kind of doubt regarding to this touchy subject!!!

header.png

why.png

how.png

dont.png

when.png

pause.png

internal.png

super.png

end.png

The source here: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon