Linguaholic

Where to Start?

I have never learned another language before and I am really ready to get started on my French journey! I am having trouble really figuring out where to start though. Does anyone have suggestions? I have watched a few YouTube videos and have downloaded a French app but I feel like I am just learning a few words. I feel like I need to be more involved in the French language on a daily basis and really learn conversations I can use. How did/are you accomplishing learning French?

The best way is to just learn the basic words and phrases by finding some resources that give you instructions on pronunciations because french is very tricky when it comes to that. I don't think there's one best tool for everyone, and it's probably just better to keep searching for one that will work for you since there's so much abundant resources now that it gets a bit difficult to choose these days. It's still much better than the alternative of having scarce resources though.

Start learnig what we call 'Survival French.' Study the basic expressions you need to be able to find your way through a French-speaking community. Try to put yourself to different scenarios such as introducing yourself, asking for directions, asking and providing different kinds of information. Then learn to sound like French. They would be able to appreciate it. Listen to French music and watch films. Try to find someone to talk with you and tell him to give you feedback. Immerse yourself to the language and culture. Goodluck!

I have made a list of movies and I'm going to go on a French movie binge this weekend! I think it will be a good first step. I really do want to be able to communicate with a native French speaker and be able to get their advice and feedback. I want to be able to talk to them every day that way I am actually having to use what I am learning. Do you have any suggestions where I could maybe find a native French speaker willing to do that?