Linguaholic

Where to learn grammar for someone with vocabulary

• 9 months later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Unlike Inflectional languages i.e  English, or other European languages, the Chinese language is an analytic language. In other words, it depends on adverbs, auxiliary, or adverbials or the context to identify or distinguish the tenses, the numbers. Luckily most Chinese words are without genders like modern English.

Congratulations if you've really grasped a number of Chinese characters which seem to me are the most difficult for non-native speakers, and the next thing is the tones. Each character would be a drawing.  As to grammar, personally I don't think it is that important, unless your goal is to be a linguist of Chinese. 

Probably you can buy a  good or so-so Chinese grammar book instead of going to so-called standard Chinese grammar course.

My two cents. 

• 3 months later...

I also know a few Chinese vocabs but when I try to listen to some audios I still could not understand what they are talking about. To my surprise they never even use the words that I had learned. What could I be doing wrong? Do I study grammar first before learning a lot of vocabs? 

Hi, this Chinese grammar course is very suitable for you: http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com/course/chinese-language-course/chinese-grammar

You could learn Chinese grammar with the most professional Chinese teachers online.

You can learn it any time and any where.

Welcome to book a free trail class here: http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com/

• 4 years later...
On 3/31/2016 at 1:04 PM, kurdapia said:

I also know a few Chinese vocabs but when I try to listen to some audios I still could not understand what they are talking about. To my surprise they never even use the words that I had learned. What could I be doing wrong? Do I study grammar first before learning a lot of vocabs? 

The service is good for learning various adjectives in Chinese and expanding your vocabulary. However, this is a paid platform and it doesn't really help with speaking. It was very important for me to find a tool for effective words memorization, because many applications and resources offer only simple Chinese words. There are no problems with this on Hack Chinese, but the lack of the ability to check phrases in real communication is a significant drawback

If you know a lot of vocabulary, and I assume you already know the characters, my advise is to read as much genuine Chinese text as possible.
You can try Baidu which is a kind of Chinese Yahoo.
Considering the nature of Chinese internet, you'd probably almost exclusively get search results in Chinese, so a lot of text you can encounter.

If you read enough, your brain will automatically rewire itself to make you understand Chinese grammar.
One thing to be aware however which I experienced when going from full time Dutch and Polish to full time English in the past, and again when going from full time English to full time Japanese in the current time, you might lose your sense of grammar in the languages you don't practise too often.
Yes, this includes your native language(s)!