Linguaholic

Why this language?

Rosyrain

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I chose to learn the language that I'm studying which is German and Spanish mainly out of curiosity. I chose German because I like the songs of a German rock band, and when it comes to Spanish, I chose it because Spanish is used by many countries, and Tagalog also has Spanish roots because we were colonized by the Spaniards for 300 years.

I chose French because for the longest time, as I was growing up I'd see so many French books around me that would really entice me, but which of course I couldn't read. I was fascinated by the unique letters and always hoped to learn the language some day. So as soon as the opportunity presented itself, I was straight in there.

The other language I chose was Italian, because I love all things Italian. Also, I went there many years ago as an au pair, and most people around me didn't speak English. When I started learning it, I found I actually enjoyed it even more than French. But I love both languages.

I'm choosing to learn french because I just love how it sounds. I find it very elegant and I just think it would be a nice language to learn. Also I hope to travel there someday and I also wish I could live there for a while so it would help if I already knew some basics so I wouldn't have to start from scratch when the time finally comes.

For me, it's French. I really like the language itself, and the way it comes off the tongue, makes me feel very sophisticated and worldly :P

I actually want to start learning coding, but I'm not sure if that's the type of language we discuss on this forum :grin:

For me, I think it was the other way around, the language chose me. I started learning in high school, which was compulsory and really fell in love with it. Since then i've been striving more and more.

Because of work, I'm supposed to learn Korean. But even with my interest, I think I don't have the aptitude for it, hehe. I truly struggle with it even if I watch a lot of Korean movies or TV series. Besides, most of my colleagues at work prefer that I speak with them in English. I guess I worked best teaching than learning.

Because of work, I'm supposed to learn Korean. But even with my interest, I think I don't have the aptitude for it, hehe. I truly struggle with it even if I watch a lot of Korean movies or TV series. Besides, most of my colleagues at work prefer that I speak with them in English. I guess I worked best teaching than learning.

Excuse my ignorance takibari, but I just wondered if there were any similarities between Filipino and Korean, or are they as different as chalk and cheese? You must be very good at it though, if you're able to watch Korean movies and TV!

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently improving on my Spanish because that is where my family is from and I feel very connected to it. I travel to Italy a lot for work so even though you could kinda survive with English, I chose to start learning Italian to learn something new considering I have a great opporunity to be able to go there.

Next up is Portuguese and Mandarin. I love the way Portuguese sounds and it is closely related to Spanish, and Gallego, which is the language of the part of Spain my family is from. Mandarin will be my personal challenge and because I enjoy the Chinese culture. Hopefully my job will be sending me there sooner or later!

I think at the end of the day you are going to want to chose a language that you would want to connect with the people and the culture. If you are not interested in that you are not going to have the motivation nor will you enjoy the learning process.

Portugese is another language that I would be interested in learning at some point. Because it's so closely related to Spanish, it could help me pick up some Spanish too. I just love languages! But listening to people speak Spanish, I always thought I'd struggle with the the pronunciation.

In my other post here in linguaholic, I mentioned about Chinese Mandarin and Japanese. Yes I am very much interested in these languages. However I would also like to learn Spanish and French. Even German. It would always be good to explore different ways to expressing yourself. I chose these languages because of the trend of how business and technology is going. These countries I believe are going to be giants in the future.

At first, I chose to study Nihongo because of my interest in anime and Japanese music.  However, my reasons for studying Nihongo have now evolved beyond mere interest, as I have always wanted to practice my language skills while applying for work in the government.  In addition, I have always been fascinated by the workaholic lifestyle of the Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...

I took Spanish in High school but only two years and I was never fluent. So I decided to give it another try. I have tried learning languages with different alphabets than English, but I think I will have an easier time if I first learn one that uses the same alphabet.

• 7 months later...

The reason I learn the languages I learn is well because of the fact that I always get introduced to the culture first (whether it's their ancient or modern culture) and because of this, it gets me interested in wanting to learn more about them, but the problem with that is certain things get lost in translation from that historical event in it's native tounge to English so I try to learn the native tounge so I can truly understand the history, culture and way of living of that country... Even if some of those countries study/speak English... 

Edited by DivaDee