Linguaholic

Wearing

Joe

should I wear a tie.

I have come up with "yo soy llevaba zapatos negro" for I am wearing black shoes. I was presuming I could just swap out the yo soy for el es & ella es for he is and she is --. However many translations I have come back with ella esta and replace llevaba with usando.

Basically I would like to know how to describe what I'm wearing, what he/she is wearing and possibly what we all wore or are going to wear. :-)

should I wear a tie.

I have come up with "yo soy llevaba zapatos negro" for I am wearing black shoes. I was presuming I could just swap out the yo soy for el es & ella es for he is and she is --. However many translations I have come back with ella esta and replace llevaba with usando.

Basically I would like to know how to describe what I'm wearing, what he/she is wearing and possibly what we all wore or are going to wear. :-)

Joe, what language are you looking to translate into? I may not be able to help but I'm not sure if your question is very clear. Those who are in a position to help you may struggle to understand. I'm guessing you're looking at Spanish or one of the latin languages, right?

should I wear a tie.

Hey, welcome , welcome.

Let me see if I can help a little bit.

"yo soy llevaba zapatos negro" is a tad incongruent, mainly because of "soy". Soy is used to imply something no temporary, like nationality, personality, etc. Since what you wear is not something perpetual and changes every day, to be, needs to be translated in its "estoy" form.

Now "llevaba" because of its "-aba" ending, is a tense indicating an action that has stopped in the past (was/were + verb), so it can be translated as "was/were wearing"; though many translators will simplify to "wore". What I mean is that if you use the verb+aba ending you don't need in Spanish the verb "to be" as we imply the past tense by the way we end the word.

"Yo llevaba zapatos negros" = I was wearing black shoes (I wore black shoes)

An alternative with the same english translation is "Yo estaba llevando zapatos negros", perhaps that is the one you were aiming for. "Estaba + verb-ando/endo" is basicly the "was doing + verb-ing" closest translation.

Now if you allow me to go more in depth(sorry if I am getting too carried away)...

"[to be] wearing" is a tricky verb to translate because it changes depending the piece you're talking about. "Usando"  is probably the easiest way and the one that will most likely sound okay no matter if it is a hat or a sock.

For wearing clothes it is usually "vistiendo" (from vestido [dress] / infinitive verb "vestir" [get dressed]).

For wearing footwear it's "Calzando" (from calzado [footwear] /infinitive verb "calzar" [put footwear])

But like I said "usando" makes sense and may be easier to remember:

I am wearing black shoes - [yo] estoy usando/calzando zapatos negros.

She/he is wearing black shoes - [ella/el] está usando/calzando zapatos negros.

They are wearing black shoes - [ellos] estan usando/calzando zapatos negros.

We are wearing black shoes - [Nosotros] estamos usando/calzando zapatos negros.

For past tense:

I was - Yo estaba... «usando/calzando zapatos negros»

She/he was - Ella/él estaba... «"»

They were - Ellos estaban... «"»

We were - Nosotros estabamos... «"»

For future tense.

I will be - Yo estaré  «"»

She/he will be - Ella/el estará... «"»

They will be - Ellos estarán... «"»

We will be - Nosotros estaremos... «"»

I hope this can be more a source of help rather than confusion.  :laugh: