Linguaholic

Czech or Serbo-Croatian?

kiam307

Hello :)

I've been wondering for a while which of the two languages should I learn - Czech or Serbo-Croatian. May I add that I already speak Polish and Russian and am very fascinated by Slavic languages in general. The reason why I'd like to learn Serbo-Croatian is that its a south Slavic language and, seeing that I already have been dealing with a West Slavic language ?Polish) as well as an East Slavic language (Russian), why not explore a new branch? :)

On the other hand, I wonder if Czech would prove more useful in the long run somehow. Czech is a wonderful language, Czechs are pleasant people and the country itself is great. However it is also a West Slavic language like Polish, which makes it a bit too similar (and therefore confusing) as well as a little boring.

What do you guys say? Which path should I choose? :P

Thank you! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Since you already speak other Slavic languages, it shouldn't be that hard to learn either one. Which one do you think you would use more? Which one sounds more interesting?

If it were me, I'd definitely go with Serbo-Croatian, because my grandma was from Croatia. But that's just me...  I speak some Russian, and I've found that a lot of Croatian is pretty similar. In fact, I used to speak to her in Russian, and she could understand me even though she didn't speak it.

I've been wondering for a while which of the two languages should I learn - Czech or Serbo-Croatian. May I add that I already speak Polish and Russian and am very fascinated by Slavic languages in general. The reason why I'd like to learn Serbo-Croatian is that its a south Slavic language and, seeing that I already have been dealing with a West Slavic language ?Polish) as well as an East Slavic language (Russian), why not explore a new branch? :)

On the other hand, I wonder if Czech would prove more useful in the long run somehow. Czech is a wonderful language, Czechs are pleasant people and the country itself is great. However it is also a West Slavic language like Polish, which makes it a bit too similar (and therefore confusing) as well as a little boring.

What do you guys say? Which path should I choose? :P

Thank you! :)

Oh, how lucky you are to speak all the languages you do already.  I wish I was at your same level!  So, I can not offer advice out out experience, but only personal.  My mother-in-laws family spoke Czech, so my vote goes for that, but seriously, whatever you choose, you will be the wiser, learning, yet, another language!  I am just wondering, if it is similar, wouldn't it make it a little easier to learn, not harder?

• 3 weeks later...

Could you please explain to me if there is a difference between Serbo-Croatian and Bosnian? Pardon my ignorance but I am having trouble finding the answer. My husbands family was Croatian back when they were still Yugoslavian and we are very interested in the culture and language but have done little study on the subject as of yet.

I just wanted to say kudos to you for tackling those languages because to me, they seem like some of the most difficult languages to learn! Good luck whatever choice you go with, I'm sure you'll do well whatever you decide :)

Czech is great (I kinda have to say this because I'm Czech ;-) ) but the company a I work for are opening a branch in Serbia so if you learned the language properly, perhaps they'd offer you a job ;-) It's Lingea. They also have a Polish branch in Krakow.

So that's my avice.

cheers

• 2 months later...

Could you please explain to me if there is a difference between Serbo-Croatian and Bosnian? Pardon my ignorance but I am having trouble finding the answer. My husbands family was Croatian back when they were still Yugoslavian and we are very interested in the culture and language but have done little study on the subject as of yet.

I think they are very similar, like regional versions of the same language. Here are a couple of quotes from Wikipedia about Bosnian:

Bosnian Listeni/ˈbɒzniən/ (Serbo-Croatian: bosanski / босански; [bɔ̌sanskiː]) or Bosniak (Serbo-Croatian: bošnjački / бошњачки; [bǒʃɲaːtʃkiː]) is the standardized variety of Serbo-Croatian mainly used by Bosniaks.

And:

Bosnian is based on the most widespread dialect of Serbo-Croatian, Shtokavian, more specifically on Eastern Herzegovinian, which is also the basis of Croatian, Serbian, and Montenegrin. Until the dissolution of SFR Yugoslavia, they were treated as a unitary Serbo-Croatian language, and that term is still used in English to subsume the common base...

Here's a link to the page I got those quotes from, in case you want to read more :).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_language

• 3 months later...

Czech Czech Czech!!! Definitely! (I am Czech:D) If you learn Czech, you will be able to understand Slovak well and you will be able to understand a little tiny bit of Serbo-Croatian but wouldn't be able to talk to Czechs and Slovaks.. So I think learning Czech would be more fruitful!! Good luck! If you need any help with Czech just let me know:)