Linguaholic

Bilingual Latin-English texts?

thistle

Hi all!

One of the things I really like for learning languages (and especially Latin because it's so text-oriented) is reading a translation where the left-hand side of the book is in the original language and the right-hand side is an English translation. Doe anyone have good recommendations for this in Latin? I'm thinking of picking up Peter Green's bilingual edition of Catullus's poems and I have David Ferry's bilingual translations of Horace, but some other recommendations would be awesome!

• 1 month later...

Well, one of the best translations I´ve seen are done by Loeb.

Here are a few links:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/collection.php?cpk=1031

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/translations.html

I don´t know whether you can find it online, but they´re really valuable and would be a good investment even if you bought a few of them. I´ve worked with the translation of Vergil´s Aeneid and Eclogae and they´re VERY good. I´ve also worked with Ovid´s Metamorphoseon and a few prose texts and I haven´t been disappointed yet.

P.S. I think I´ve already worked with that translation of Catullus and it´s alright. I don´t recall seeing Loeb version, though, but they´d done a lot of translations and I believe most of major works are covered.

• 4 years later...
On 3/21/2015 at 7:46 PM, thistle said:

Hi all!

One of the things I really like for learning languages (and especially Latin because it's so text-oriented) is reading a translation where the left-hand side of the book is in the original language and the right-hand side is an English translation. Doe anyone have good recommendations for this in Latin? I'm thinking of picking up Peter Green's bilingual edition of Catullus's poems and I have David Ferry's bilingual translations of Horace, but some other recommendations would be awesome!

Since this post is from 2015, I wonder if you have since found some bilingual latin texts ?