Linguaholic

I hope they come up with japanese Duolingo soon

Enrico

I hope they come up with japanese Duolingo soon! I've been a fan of duolingo but there are no english to  japanese courses as of yet! Hopefully they can add this course soon, I've been wanting to learn nihonggo for a long time! :)

As of the moment Nihongo Duolingo is still in the Beta test phase.  It will take months before they release it.  For the time being I'm sticking to traditional Nihongo classes, and will definitely watch out for the release of Nihongo Duolingo.

• 1 month later...

Guys come on!

There are resources for learning Japanese (or any other language) out there.

The only reason why are people using sites like duolinguo are just because it requires less thinking from your side and there are colors and it helps you with motivation.

Everyone can learn any language.

All you need it a dictionary and a piece of paper

Try a dictionary like www.dict.com, learn few words, how to pronounce them, look at the grammar, later, start using monolingual dictionaries, like http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.

Please don't make excuses.

These apps only help with motivation.

Lecturer can help you with grammar understanding.

I think you will have to wait a bit longer :(  Because as far as  I know they are not working on a japanese course yet :(  They just released Vietnamese, I think?  If that is true,then there surely is hope for more asiatic countries to be released in the future :)  Meanwhile it's good you are working with Pimsleur Japanese, I've been thinking of doing the same with dutch. 

• 2 months later...

Duolingo is definitely my favorite language learning app, and considering Japanese is another language I would absolutely love to learn, I'd be really happy to see a course come out! Considering how popular of a language it is for people to want to learn, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to hope for it sometime in the future; I just doubt it'll be anytime soon because most (if not all, I can't remember) of the languages on there are not in different alphabets.

Guys come on!

There are resources for learning Japanese (or any other language) out there.

The only reason why are people using sites like duolinguo are just because it requires less thinking from your side and there are colors and it helps you with motivation.

[cut for length]

Please don't make excuses.

Okay but if someone prefers to learn a language from a certain method... they can do that if they want to? I find Duolingo easiest to understand and the funnest way. Learning a new language doesn't have to be a frustrating process; if someone wants to do it the way they enjoy, they're not "making excuses"; they just know their preferred method well.

• 2 months later...

I'd love a Japanese track on Duolingo! I spent some brief time with Duolingo's Spanish track, and I have to say the app is very well made. The item/heart system seemed a bit pointless, but it did add some charm and flair to the experience. I'm far more interested in Japanese than I am in Spanish, so if they released a Japanese track I'd head there in a heartbeat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Adding Japanese on their platform will further increase the user base of Duolingo. In my opinion, the only negative thing about Duolingo is that it's lacking the top Asian languages such as Japanese, and Korean. If they were to add even one of those two, then they would certainly be the top language learning app by a long shot considering that there are lots of people who are huge fans of Japanese entertainment like animes, mangas, and dramas. I for one would try out the app again. 

Yes I fully agree. I would love to learn the Japanese language, and I really love the app because I find it compliments my other learning practices as well. I would also like to see mandarin added in! 

Did you mean the Duolingo web? I'm using Duolingo app, and I checked it last night, it has Japanese. The only thing is, the whole app has to change its font in Japanese. As prompted by the app itself, the course isn't for beginners. So I hope, they'll come up with Japanese for English readers then gradually to Japanese font. 

If you want, you can instead do a Japanese course on Memrise.
It's for free too, plus it's made up by native speakers unlike on Duolingo and it uses mnemonics to memorise words (also made up by the community).

The biggest difference may be that Duolingo puts more focus on your habit, while Memrise puts more focus on your memory.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys didn't know already, the creation of courses is completely dependent on volunteers. You can find out which courses are being created and what stage they are in at the Duolingo Incubator. The last time I checked, no one was working on Japanese, and I'm currently waiting for Klingon and Russian to reach the Beta phase. I hope this helps, but just know that not all of the courses are created by the developers; volunteers are signed on to create new courses.

Could it be because of the different alphabetical system? Learning Japanese can be quite tough unless you do it the classical way, just searching, reading, and listening on your own to various types of media. As for volunteers, yes, it would take someone who actually knows the language and Japanese in general is quite complex and is better taught by a native speaker, rather than someone who studied it on the side.

If you want, you can instead do a Japanese course on Memrise.
It's for free too, plus it's made up by native speakers unlike on Duolingo and it uses mnemonics to memorise words (also made up by the community).

The biggest difference may be that Duolingo puts more focus on your habit, while Memrise puts more focus on your memory.

Memrise is an excellent resource. 
I've found it to be quite helpful for learning the kanji. 
I haven't found it to be as useful for learning grammar though.

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I just wanted to say how much I love this website! I've already met some really cool people and have had some really interesting conversations as well. So glad I found this website.

I'm looking forward to Japanese too. I've heard the delay is because of the different script it requires, like a lot of other languages, but that it's being worked on. My level of Japanese might be a bit high for it by the time it comes out, but I think it would stull be useful for practicing and grammar.

I think Duolingo is interested in adding Japanese into their program. They recently partnered up with my program in Japan to do some events. Hopefully that means they'll have a Japanese course up soon.