Linguaholic

Have you ever given up?

Rosyrain

On 23 November 2015 04:23:08, hungary93 said:

Yes! After high school graduation I learned Russian for a few months, but sadly the technique of the teacher and books from the 70's did not help at all. I am sad that I stopped, but maybe some other time in my life I will continue.

Russia is a big Country and to have the Russian language etched in your brain is an asset. But like you said, you can always learn it sometime in the future. As long as there is life there is hope.

Yup. Both Spanish and French. Spanish I only wanted to learn because I was going to Barcelona for holiday and then few days before the trip somebody told me they speak Catalan there, and I just immediately got discouraged and quit almost on the spot. I had French in college and I actually did quite well with it, but after I finished my studies, I just couldn't force myself to explore it further.

• 1 month later...

I  gave up with French because pronunciation was hard for me when I tried it. Later, further learning of English and improved pronunciation of this language made me realized that French isn't that hard when you have have dominated the English pronunciation, but  I had no time to take my course back, and while I still want to learn it, it would be until I feel confident with my German.

While I know it's possible studying two or more languages at a time, I prefer to do it one-in-one.

On 25/11/2015, 5:45:14, rcdpink said:

Russia is a big Country and to have the Russian language etched in your brain is an asset. But like you said, you can always learn it sometime in the future. As long as there is life there is hope.

Russian was a requirement back in college. I could still remember a few words but I never like it. I also had russian schoolmates and they speak really fast. It sounds nice for a native russian speaker but not something I would be interested to learn on my own. But it's really a good language to learn, career wise. I had a summer internship in a hotel and most guests were russians. Russian speakers are always in demand. I tried learning French and Spanish but lose interest in the end because I don't know which platform to use and didn't have a tutor to push me. I'm learning chinese now. I'd probably focus on Asian languages first as they're closer to my heart. I grew up watching asiandramas and anime. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, there have been times where I have given up multiple times when learning one language, so I'd go off to another one of the different languages I'm also studying and continue doing this until I get completely burnt out and crash... So yeah...

I gave up learning Finnish when I was younger :(  I had recently learnt English,  back then I was so motivated and so excited.  I saw everything under a new light... I wanted to learn as many languages as possible.  I bought a Finnish course (no CD - BIG mistake).  It was the first language course for me... because I didn't buy anything to learn English.   I gave up after a while, back then I also wanted to learn old Norse and old English :)  I printed a lot online courses... sadly I fell short :( 

I joined French language class when I was in college. Because of time constrains and other priorities, I dropped French language class. Even after I stopped going to French class,I continued practicing French. However, slowly I lost interest. At a time,it looked like I had given up learning French. However, years later, when I was looking into my book self, I discovered my language book and my French notes. At that moment, I felt the necessity of learning the language again.

I used to talk to someone who is pure Chinese and she talks to me at times in Mandarin, so I got curious in learning her language. But after a while, just remembering all those symbols just made me all the more confused, so I ditched learning it.

On 3/23/2015 at 5:33 AM, Rosyrain said:

Are there any languages that you set out to learn, but just ended up giving up on in the end? 

Spanish.  For me, it's Spanish.  I learned it all throughout elementary and intermediate school because the area I grew up in was popular with migrant workers and had quite a big ESL community.  But I just...couldn't connect to it.  Even though I would have liked to know what my Hispanic friends were talking about, I eventually stopped caring and gave up.  

I was also attempting to learn ASL, but my school district didn't offer enough immersion.  And most of the deaf kids I knew could read lips astoundingly well, so I had little need to practice.  Though, I still remember the alphabet haha.  

Same thing happened to me. I signed up for an ASL class with ASL students as my teachers many years ago. They were really deaf-mute students so it was a hands-on experience for me. It was beneficial for me since I could really practice my sign language with them. But when I stopped working in that University, I also stopped the class. And I failed to continue since I did not have that privilege anymore and I got busy with raising my own family.