Linguaholic

Next language you'd like to learn

tulosai

Mine is definitely Italian.  I actually took intro to italian but decided Spanish would be more useful for me in the long term, so switched out.  Now that I'm done with Spanish, I kind of want to pick it back up so I can eventually visit there when I'm older...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

My next goal is to learn Italian.  I regret not learning it growing up, but it is clearly a goal of mine.  I have not traveled to Europe, but it is definately something I plan to do and Italy is a destination for me.  I so want to be somewhat fluent before I arrive and it has always been on the horizon for me.

I really want to learn French. A very good friend of mine is a French minor, and hearing him speak the language is absolutely fascinating. There is a type of majesty that comes with the pronunciation of the words that I would love to master. Also, I hope to go with him to France this summer after we graduate college. Even if I won't be able to converse with the people there, if I can understand something--anything--it would be considered a successful journey.

If I could learn a new language it would German. I did take four years of German in High School and always had an A but I still do not know it. I am from Bulgaria and I already know English and second best language to learn would be German. I believe it will open up some job opportunities for me.

After I learn japanese I would definitely love to learn a little Spanish or Italian because I want their accent and their accents are a chick magnet to for me. Shigana (I would like) to get some girls :P  :tongue:

I'm trying to learn German. I speak English, French and Italian fluently, a bit of Spanish.

I find it hard because German has composite words.

In a way, it is easier, because you learn 2 words instead of three.

Hand - hand

Shoe - schuh

Glove - handschuh  - a shoe for the hand

I find German to be a really poetic language in some cases. Some of the composite words have a poetic  value.

A lot of words sound a lot like English. Once you get the hang of composite words, it is pretty easy.

I traveled to Germany once, but it is quite hard to understand the spoken language.

And some of the composite words are quite long and confusing.

Did you know, the longest word in the German language is Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

It means: "Danube steamship company captain"

:D

I want to learn a Slavic language but i tried Russian a few years ago but the difficulty stopped me in my tracks. I think after i have a decent base in Mandarin i would like to have another pop at Russian and put the books i brought to use.

I'm trying to learn Japanese at the moment, but seeing how many kanji there are is a bit intimidating. If I were to choose something else I think it would be Korean. I really like learning different alphabets because it's more of a challenge and that makes it fun for me. But I think I'll stick with learning just Japanese for the time being.

I would be interested in learning Spanish. I think it's one of the easier languages to learn if you already have an understanding of different genders in speech, which I do.

I'm a big fan of Spanish cinema, especially films like Biutiful and Pan's Labyrinth so I've always thought Spanish would be a great language to learn!

But at the same time there's an appeal to learning a language like Mandarin or Cantonese for me which is just so completely different in every way to the languages I do know.  I remember sitting on a flight to Hong Kong, seeing if I could try and make sense of the Cantonese letters.

For me it has to be Latin because it is the foundation of the many languages that exist in Europe.It seems interesting to be able to read old scrolls and manuscripts in Latin.But the thing is I don't know where to find a teacher.

I would really like to learn French. I am amused by the accent and intonation that French people exude or portray. I have watched movies like Ratatouie, The Eye, and others which made me realize that the French language is a very interesting one. 

Well, it was kind of a spur of the moment type of thing inspired by this forum, but I've finally registered for a Duolingo account to begin learning Portuguese. Wish me luck you guys! :)

Scratch that - I should have listened to another topic on here that said learning Portuguese from scratch is very hard. Switched to German instead, which I'm having a better time with. Probably because of its genetic relation to English and the fact I did it for a little while at school.

The next language I would like to learn after Spanish would probably be Vietnamese because it is my home language. I tried to learn before but I gave up because it was highly difficult but now that I have experience with spanish I think I could try better now.

The next language I'd like to learn to speak well is Spanish. I already have a decent reading ability in Spanish, and have managed to make myself quite well understood on trips to rural Spain where nobody speaks anything else (other than Catalan, which didn't help me much!), but I would love to learn the language properly. I studied Spanish grammar in Latin class way back in high school, so that should be no problem. Ideally, I'd like to go somewhere in Latin America for a few months to take an immersion course and surround myself with Spanish speakers. I tend to learn best in a small group or private lessons, and when I have to revisit the material every day or so. :smile:

I'm going to start learning (well, in theory I've already started, but I haven't done much) either Thai or Korean, but I have hard time finding good resources (especially for Thai) and staying motivated :<

After that, I'd love to go back to German, I used to study it in elementary and middle school, but I can barely remember anything now.

Wow Thai, that's something I've never heard before. :P If you ever want to practise, shoot me a message.

I think for me it'd have to be conversational Korean. I've got the reading down but it's not really worth much if I don't know what I'm reading!

I would like to advance my Italian. The shear musicality of this Romance language is unbeatable. Imagine if I can speak con amore! Let alone, as a colleague mentioned here, when you have a firsthand access to classics. In the process, I might even refine my Latin, then I will be granted a passport to the past.

I've been attempting to learn Norwegian for a long time. I have friends who live in Norway and I always feel guilty that they have to speak English to communicate with me! It may only be spoken in one country, but it is such a beautiful country. It also sounds lovely.

I really want to learn Japanese! I know I should say I have relatives there and this way I can talk to them, but in all honesty, I just LOVE how Japanese sounds. It's such a cute, interesting language. I love it. I tried learning it a while ago, and I can read it and pronounce it just fine, but I can't remember phrases and words.