Linguaholic

Next language you'd like to learn

tulosai

If you were going to start trying to learn a new language now which one would it be and why?

I would definitely want to try Croatian.  My family is there and I am visiting in a few weeks so it would be really useful to me!

So many to choose from! For me it would have to be Russian or Arabic, but I'm starting Italian next month because I want to be able to read Italian literature. I need to have some sort of a goal when I'm learning a language other than being able to order a cheese sandwich when I'm on holiday. My goal in learning Italian is to be able to read Ignazio Silone's "Pane e Vino".

I'm going to start learning (well, in theory I've already started, but I haven't done much) either Thai or Korean, but I have hard time finding good resources (especially for Thai) and staying motivated :<

After that, I'd love to go back to German, I used to study it in elementary and middle school, but I can barely remember anything now.

I feel embarrassed to say that I know no other language properly besides English, Hindi and my mother tongue. I took French classes for a few months. I managed to learnt it somewhat, but as the course got over so did my practice stop. Now I'm back to square one. :( If I can keep my determination on, I'd like to learn Spanish and Arabic next, and German too. I admire people who can speak in several languages at once!

For me, priority one at the moment is Turkish. Mostly because I propbably will move to Turkey next year, and because I would like to be able to properly speak to my boyfriend's family. English is not a well-taught or prioritized subject in this country, so I will have to be the one to learn the other language.

After that, what should have been my 2nd mother tongue (Spanish) is what I will focus on.

Fortunately, I get exposed to these two languages and have close relations to people who are native speakers of the languages, so it should be easy to learn. Especially since I have noticed that Turkish and Spanish have sort of similar grammatical systems.

I really want to learn German next. I studied it for a year in school when I was 12/13, but we never really learnt anything useful so all I can remember is how to say things like "In my bag, I've got a calculator and a banana". I'd liek to learn it more seriously, i.e. leanr all the grammar and more complex vocab. I love Germany as a country and I do classical singing as well, so German is a very common language to have to sing in. It would be useful to understand what I'm singing about.

I really want to learn German, for a couple of months staying in Germany. I learned few basic words and phrases. I also try to learn online. Hearing it everyday during my stay makes it easier at that time. I can understand some words but I can't really communicate well. But after I came home, I forgot almost everything since I don't hear and use it often. Aside from german I also want to learn french and italian. I'm fascinated with these languages.

Well seeing as my German learning hasn't gone splendidly well so far, I would want to continue focusing on it before I jump to something else.

But if I do end up having a decent command on German, I'd like to move to Japanese next. I am a huge anime and manga nut and only watch the former in Japanese with English subs. Would be great if I could dispense with the subs.

I think, I have finally learnt some decent English. I still fumble here and there as I make quite a few mistakes often, but I will conquer it too. Right now, I am starting to learn a little bit of French. After this, I would like to learn Spanish.

If you were going to start trying to learn a new language now which one would it be and why?

I would definitely want to try Croatian.  My family is there and I am visiting in a few weeks so it would be really useful to me!

I am going to Croatia tomorrow - but just for a week! XD So I looked some things about this language too, and it is interesting indeed.

Apart from improving my skills in the languages I kinda know, I would really love to learn Polish, Hungarian and Japanese.

I too would like to learn German next.  Although I studied it in college for a couple of years and even spent a semester at German House on campus, I have become extremely rusty.  I pretty much would have to start over.

After that, I would like to learn French.  I've had a longtime interest in French, partly because I want to read some of my favorite books in the original language, especially Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. 

Dear Laura

Oh, that is a funny coincidence! I just suggested Victor Hugo's "Les misérables" in one of the French Threads. It is an amazing book, that's certainly true! And if you can read it in French, it's perfect.

oh, so this means you will not be active on linguaholic.com for one whole week Topcho ? :sweating:

Probably not  :cry: Well I will carry my tablet with me, so if I am lucky and got some stable internet connection in the hotels, I will be able to check what's going on in the forum :D I hope so!

Dear Laura

Oh, that is a funny coincidence! I just suggested Victor Hugo's "Les misérables" in one of the French Threads. It is an amazing book, that's certainly true! And if you can read it in French, it's perfect.

Yes, I saw that thread!  I've read the book only in the English translation and it's mesmerizing from start to finish. I would think it must be even more so in the original language. 

Yes, reading French literature is part of my motivation to learn the language.  I would also like to read other classics, including some of the works of Alexander Dumas "The Three Musketeers" and "The Count of Monte Cristo " among others. 

I also want to learn French so that when I go to Quebec, Canada again, I would be able to speak the language.  Although I haven't been there for many years, Montreal remains one of my favorite cities. 

I am going to Croatia tomorrow - but just for a week! XD So I looked some things about this language too, and it is interesting indeed.

Apart from improving my skills in the languages I kinda know, I would really love to learn Polish, Hungarian and Japanese.

Oh wow let me know how Croatia goes! I am really nervous about my trip there so I'd love any feedback you can give me about the language and culture :)

I would love to learn sign language.  I think that it is so cool that people are able to communicate with each other by using their hands.  I use to work with toddlers that had developmental delays.  We use to use simple signs with them such as more, milk, thank you, etc.  It was great to see them use the signs to communicate with their parents.  I would love to know enough signs to be able to have a conversation with some one.

I would like to learn Spanish next because of the obvious advantages of learning this widely used language. I'd also like to learn German or French but I imagine having problems with pronunciation and the distinct accent when speaking French. 

I would give Spanish a shot just because a lot of the job ads in my city require or favor applicants who speak English and Spanish.  I would consider learning chinese because that would help me advance my career.  I think Latin would be fun to learn as most of the roots of English words stem from the Latin language. 

One of the big advantages to learning Spanish is being able to spit game at the mamcitas as they call them.  Imagine the edge you'd have in picking up Spanish/Mexican chicks if you could speak their native tongue!

For a practical language, I'd like to learn German. It's close enough to English I'd probably not have too much trouble learning; it's also different enough to provide a good challenge.

I've also been considering learning some less common languages, such as Swahili or Turkish, just for the fun of it.

Overall, if it's a language, I'm at least a little interested in learning it. I find such things as language and linguistics extremely fascinating. Yes I'm a geek :-)..

#4, please be careful over there as it is a hotbed right now. If you are with a 'local' you will probably be alright but we are not the most loved nation in the world.

I think you will pick up the language quickly, being immersed in it like that! When we moved to Germany, I wanted to plunk my kids right into German schools. I knew it would be hard at first but within months, they would speak German! Besides, the rest of the world speaks English so the would surely get some help! My husband would not go for it and put them in American Schools, also an adventure of sorts, but I wish they had learnd German! What an opportunity, eh?