Linguaholic

Next language you'd like to learn

tulosai

I would really like to learn spanish. The reason is mostly because that language has some poetic elements that I would like to exploit. I've never been a fan of soap operas, however the language has always had an appeal to me.

I would definitely like to pursue learning Chinese. It seems like it will be very difficult to do so it will be an interesting challenge. I have quite a few friends that already know the language so I think that will be helpful. I think I would be learning Mandarin, since it seems like the most widespread of the dialects.

If you were going to start trying to learn a new language now which one would it be and why?

I would definitely want to try Croatian.  My family is there and I am visiting in a few weeks so it would be really useful to me!

I would say i want to learn the Chinese Language. Reason been we have a lot of Chinese is our country doing business. And so when the workers do thing that they don't like they use there language to describe them. So I would like to learn Chinese Language. :laugh:

I really want to learn German next.

I second this. I would love to learn German! As an English speaker I find it fascinating to learn how many words I use have their root in the German language. Moreover, part of my family is Dutch and that is a very close language to German. Might as well learn German and then just try and pick up some Dutch afterward!

If I do not learn German next, I would like to try Arabic. I like how different it is and it would be so challenging to learn to read and write it. The major problem would be practicing it. Thankfully there is Skype I suppose!

Maybe French. I think it sounds really nice. I will learn it after I'm good enough at German and Mandarin which I consider the two most beneficial languages to me (excluding english of course).

I would actually like to learn Malay as my next language. Since I live in a multiracial society, with Malays making up a significant portion, it seems prudent to pick up the language. It'll allow me to better communicate with my Malay-speaking friends and colleagues.

If I could learn a new language, it would be Japanese. I haven't tried learning it because I think that all the symbols would be hard to learn and write all the time. But I think it'd be really cool to fully learn the whole language.

I would love to learn Spanish. Spanish is so widely just around the world that I think that would be the most logical language for me to learn next. I just need to get my German properly first. German grammar is not easy!

I have always wanted to try sign language.  I think it would be really cool to communicate with someone else in sign language without worrying about pronunciation problems etc.  I think it would also be handy in situations in which you don't want others to know what it is that you are saying.

If you were going to start trying to learn a new language now which one would it be and why?

I would definitely want to try Croatian.  My family is there and I am visiting in a few weeks so it would be really useful to me!

I would love to learn Russian. I think every body is capable of mastering a foreign language, no matter their age. Though language abilities  varies a lot from person to person, there is no one that is  incapable of learning a  different language. Russian language is the worlds fourth most spoken language, its the language of the United Nation and NASA. Learning Russian can be intimidating at first, but its not hard if you put your mind to it.   

I plan on starting either Swedish or restarting Spanish soon. I might be taking Russian next semester or next year at some point for my graduate program (linguistics) and because it'd be useful if I end up doing language preservation work on languages within Russia one day.

Right now, I'm taking a field methods class and we're practicing our field methods/language documentation work on Kisii/Ekegusii, so, I 'spose that's the next language I'm (sort of) learning. It's a Bantu language and pretty dang interesting.

I am currently in the process of learning Italian.  I think once I am finished with that I would much like to learn French.  I took a couple of years of Latin in High School, and just fell in love with learning languages.  I have started Italian, because I went to Rome for my honeymoon, and I think it only fair that once I visit again, I will know the language better.  We were lost trying to get back to our hotel room one night because of a public transportation strike, and we ended up stopping two very nice couples to help us find our way.  One couple was from Rome and the other were best friends and were from Sweden visiting on holiday.  They didn't know much English, but enough to help and we knew just enough Italian to communicate.

I think the next time we go back I would like to be able to talk with the locals, and maybe meet some lifetime friends that motivate us to visit more.

I would like to learn French after that because I just love the way the language sounds.  I am mesmerized every time someone speaks fluent French.  I would like to visit France, at some point as well, and again knowing the language helps with getting around, talking to locals, and maybe meeting new friends.

I've been interested in learning Finnish ever since last year. During the NHL lockout, one of my favourite hockey players went overseas to play in the Finnish elite league. I'd watch some of the games on Finnish broadcasts and just loved listening to the commentators. It's such a unique language. I've heard people say it's closer to Japanese than any other language.

The next language which I would like to learn would probably be Spanish. This is due to the reason that I have always been fascinated with Spanish culture and traditions. Spanish as a language in itself is very colorful and entertaining. I like the rolling R-sounds which are associated with the language.