Linguaholic

Next language you'd like to learn

tulosai

If you were going to start trying to learn a new language now which one would it be and why?

I would definitely want to try Croatian.  My family is there and I am visiting in a few weeks so it would be really useful to me!

I understand exactly what you mean. Your family being Croation would make communication and share less meaningful should you try to relate to them in your native tongue. The good thing about my family members is that, even though they live in England, France, and Panama, most of them understand my creole and they also speak English (which is one of the languages I am proficient in). The younger generation in my family are also learning English, even in Panama.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm working on learning French at the moment. My girl friend loves French, and you know you have to please the woman in whatever way you can. I downloaded the babbel app on my tablet and I'm thinking of purchasing Rosetta Stone.

I would like to learn Italian and German at the moment.  :wink:

I also like Italian. At the moment I'm studying Spanish of the Spaniards; and what I've come to realize is that both of the languages are very similar. There are different variations, but it will make it easier for me to study Italian. ;)

I am not planning on learning any new language anytime soon, but I do want to work on my English because I want to start making some translations and my English needs to be pretty accurate to do that. English - Portuguese is fairly OK, I don't know if any non-native will ever be able to translate into English, opinions differ.

I honestly don't know why, but I'd really like to learn Thai. I have no real reasoning behind the desire to learn, but it's a strong desire. A while ago, I decided I would make an endeavor in learning Thai, however, the tonal qualities of the language are very difficult to understand. Rising tone, falling tone, etc. I gave up fairly quickly and am slightly disappointed in myself for doing so.

Aww, don't be disappointed in yourself. :D My mother is a native speaker of Thai and she too has said that the tones would definitely be very difficult for newcomers to pronounce. If you still think about it and have a strong desire, it might be worthwhile to try again.

The next language I would like to learn would have to be Japanese. I relish the prospect of learning a language that uses a non-Latin alphabet as, up until now, all the languages in which I have dabbled have used the same alphabet as my mother tongue, English.

On top of this, I have always admired Japanese culture and I long to return to Japan since having my passion for the place affirmed during a brief stopover on my way to Australia a few years ago.

I've been trying to learn Hindi for ages, but for some funny reason, I'm not able to make sense of it! Hindi's the language I want to learn next! It's the single largest language in India and knowing it helps one move about the country without too much difficulty, even in the few places where English is not understood.

I want to learn french and teach this language to my kids. I had french in high school but don't remember alot from it. Do anyone had suggestion on how I can purchase software online to learn french. :laugh:

Well, the next language I would like to learn would be spanish. This is due to the reason that I have always been fascinated by the Spanish culture and traditions. I am also a big fan of the Spanish La Liga which is one of the most popular football leagues in the world.

Definitely Japanese!

There's so many great games and books in Japanese that never make it to the international market! Sometimes a great game never get a localization due to meddling between different corporations, or related companies or parties that give up on translating some great novels or manga due to difficulties in getting everything right in another language.

If I can read and understand Japanese I wouldn't have to wait for translations anymore! I can just get a original copy of games/novels and simply having a good time :)

When I was in primary school, here in South Africa, I had to learn how to speak Southern Sotho. For the life of me, I can barely remember how to greet, say my name, but I can count up to nine. Weird :confused:

I would like to learn Swedish!

This is mainly because I like the look of the country and would like to put this language to good use on my travels there. I think I would fit in well with the Swedes and I would love to explore the country. I don't even know a single word in this language so I'm a complete beginner.

For some reason I'd love to learn Italian. I have no roots there and I'm not planning on going there, but I think it's a fascinating language. Maybe some day I'll dive into Italian.  :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

If it's not Japanese, it has got to be either French or Latin.

Japanese, not just because I'm a big fan of Japanese culture, but because I find their language unique and creative than other conventionally learned languages. They have separate sets of characters, thousands of interchangeable symbols with very sensitive differences, and it could greatly help me if I chose to have a career in Japan, especially as a writer or a speaker.

I would love to learn chines in the future, it is the most used language in the world so I think it would be very useful to learn how to speak it. I also heard it is very difficult but hey, I'm always up for a challenge.

I really want to learn to speak Italian. I tried learning some basic words and phrases before my trip to Italy but I really want to learn to be fluent in the language. I love how it sounds and I love the accent. It sounds so musical and expressive. I find the Italian even more romantic than French.

Chinese is my next language I'd like to learn. It's too bad though that it just seems like such a difficult language to learn. Memorization is not my strong-suit but it seems like memorization is a big, big part of the language. I don't particularly like how the language sounds though; it's more for practical reasons.

I want to be able to read and write so that I can read more of the webtoons. There are so many that sound cool but I can't read cause they don't translate them. I could also help others translate webtoons faster.

I actually really want to learn Malay, as what I know it's very similar to my native language: Bahasa Indonesia. And there are a lot of Indonesian that speaks Bahasa a tad bit Malay-ish, especially there in Borneo and Sumatra. Well, I think it could be a tad bit helpful (and I suppose I could use Malay words in Bahasa too lol)

Definitely Latin. I mean, we can't speak it, but I've always wanted to learn how to write it. It's been a language that fascinated me for years. Latin has always had this fragrance that seems too elegant to simply let go.