Linguaholic

Is Chinese Useful in your life?

What is the next language you would like to learn?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is the next language you would like to learn?

• Arabic
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • German
    • French
    • Russian
    • Greek
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Spanish
    • Korean
    • An other language

• 4 weeks later...

Chinese is super useful to me. It's the only way I can communicate with my parents and relatives. Plus with so many tourists and Chinese immigrants in America, it comes in handy when they ask for directions! :P

Ever since I returned to Canada from Taiwan, I can't say that Chinese is particularly "useful" in my life. I do not use it in my business and I do not need to use it to speak to anybody that I know.

But it is still fun. I try to use it as much as I can and have made new friends this way, but I do wish it was a bit more useful to me day-to-day.

I use Chinese in my daily life. It's essential for my work even though I do not live in a majority Chinese-speaking country. I wish I was better at reading and writing though, but yes I think within the next 10 to 20 years, more and more foreigners will be learning Chinese.

Chinese is arguably my main language, despite not being able to speak it well. I use it at home every single day to talk to my parents, and I use it for basically any friend of my parents, or any person who has immigrated from China recently. I really do wish I knew how to read and write it better, as you can say that my skills in that region is on par with an elementary student in China. :(

Regardless, it is entirely necessary and very important in my life and even in the location I currently reside in (Toronto) as there are a lot of Chinese immigrants here whom I can communicate with through Chinese.

When and why did you decide to study Chinese? Do you still study it today If so do you find it to be useful in your life? For instance do you use it in business?

I have had some Mandarin lessons and it was useful to me while in university here in Liverpool as we had a large number of Chinese students. It enabled me to have (limited) conversations and make some new friends.

My main aim however is to continue with my lessons and so use my new skills in business.

The Chinese language is not very useful in my life, because the demographics of where I am currently staying is not prominently Chinese. Most people here are either from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Turkey, or France, so if I learned the Chinese language, I probably would not get to utilize the language in everyday living, unless it was online.

It's definitely very useful for me because I am now living near Paris' Chinatown on the 13th arrondissement. The Chinese here are either of Wenzhou or Chaozhou origin and thus speak different dialects and have to use Mandarin or French to communicate between themselves.

Chinese is pretty useful in my life. Most of my friends are Chinese, so it's only natural that they talk in their native language more. I ended up taking it upon myself to learn Chinese eventually. I use it everyday since I live pretty close to Chinese markets and do a substantial amount of shopping there.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in China, where I was born to speak Cantonese. I have learned Mandarin when I was little, whom I was about 3 years old. Chinese is an important language to me, and I speak both dialogues in which I speak mostly Cantonese at home. Chinese has been useful for me because that's the language my parents and my wife speak.

I totally agree that Chinese is very useful nowadays. As you can see, so many Chinese people around the world. Chinese town was set up in every country and every city so many years ago. The number of Chinese people is over one billions and they spread out the world.

Therefore, so many service want to hire someone who can speak English and Chinese cause it helps for there business.

To me, I am learning Chinese right now. It is not only cause of business, also as my dream. When I was young I want to learn Chinese so much cause there were many Chinese movies in my country.

I really think that Chinese is useful in my life.