Linguaholic

What is your reason for learning a new language?

anne16

Each of us have our own reason why we wish to learn a new second or third language. Some because of their plans to work abroad, or to better communicate with friends, while others study because of future travel plans. But for me, I would like to learn a third language to broaden my horizons. And I do hope that this can also help me increase my confidence level.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

For me:

Spanish - perfecting it bc its my heritage

Italian - travel a lot there for work and I love the language, culture etc

Portuguese - love the language and people. I do brazilian jiu jitsu so its an opportunity to connect more with some of those ppl.

Mandarin - haven't started but its on my long list to learn. I love the culture, hope to visit soon and it would be a great challenge for me.

The trick is to see if you have the motivation that will keep you learning the language. All the languages I am learning or set to learn are ones where I'm very interested in being able to communicate with the language and the people. So I think thats a good place to start. Good luck :)

I'm a language addict.  Some of it is pure fascination, some because of family heritage, some is nerdism, and some just because they are easy.

I learn just be a I'm interested, I enjoy it. I used to take foreign language dictionaries out of the library when I was in grade school! I'd read them at home, or during my classes, and try to memorize the words. It's just something I've always enjoyed doing.

I would like to learn a new language for a few reasons.  One being, I live with two foreign exchange students, one from France and one from Spain.  I would like to learn a new language to communicate better with them and others in the future.  Another reason would have to be that there might be a better paying career to some that can speak more than one language.  I love to travel also so having a few languages in my back pocket would help me greatly to communicate with the people in that area.

For me, as a young girl growing up, I always just wanted to learn French. I'm not even sure where that interest and curiosity came from. I just remember seeing some French books in a local library and really wanting to read them. I think that's where it started, and that dream never died but sadly it wasn't till I went to uni that I was finally able to study French.

I love Italian and wanted to learn it as I absolutely love all things Italian. I feel this inexplicable affinity to the country and its people. If I could I'd live there. I learnt some basics, as I was going over to au pair. When I got there, I found Italian was even easier for me to learn than French :)

• 4 weeks later...

I had the urge to learn a new language simply because I fell in love with the country and the culture. I also found the language (Korean) really interesting and pretty and I was inspired to learn it more because of my love of Korean dramas and music. It was quite a hassle for me to wait for English subtitles for shows and most of the Korean music I loved, I didn't understand. So I took matters into my own hands and tried to learn Korean so that I'd understand a show without subtitles and even understand the song without having to look up the lyrics. It's not an easy thing to do but at least I'm having fun along the way!