Linguaholic

Writing Phonetic Transcription from Spanish for English speakers - help!

Hi all,

For a mini Spanish phrase book where the target audience is English speakers I have to write the phonetic sounds of the Spanish so the English speakers can pronounce it well. I do not want to use the IPA standard. I want to use something like this, for example:

Spanish: ¿Cómo estás? Phonetic transcription: koh-moh estass?  Wondering if there is an online guide or dictionary for this. I have found one for the IPA standard at http://easypronunciation.com/en/spanish-phonetic-transcription-converter#result but this is not what we are looking for.

Any help much appreciated. Have a good weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

You could use some of the transcriptions found in other books. I liked the ones that were in an earlier version of Madrigals Magical Keys to Learning Spanish. They not only transcripted some of the words but they would give you like sounds in English. I hope that helps! That is quite a task you are undertaking!

Hi there, if you need any help with a phrase in particular please let me know.  I'm a native Spanish speaker and I'm more than capable to provide some phonetic transcriptions :)  Just send me a private message or e-mail and I'll gladly help you out with any difficult phrases.