Linguaholic

How Important is Writing When Learning a New Language?

VioletSky

Writing definitely has its place in language learning and can't ever be neglected, but I also think there's a sort of sliding scale of importance depending on the language, if that makes sense.

When I was doing French and German, the writing was a little less important to me than it was in Chinese or Japanese, since the writing system of the latter two can be used in lieu of verbal communication in the event that one knows a character's meaning but not how it's pronounced. Not to say that writing isn't important, 'cause it is, but I'd definitely wind up emphasizing learning kanji first over vocabulary for someone who's studying Japanese, for instance. It was a lot easier for me to learn a kanji and its meaning and then attach pronunciation later than vice versa. Meanwhile, my biggest challenges in French writing were figuring out how the accents worked.

In my opinion writing when you are learning a new language is essential. It helps you memorize things easier and overall helps you retain the information longer. Besides, if you are already taking the time and putting in the work into learning a new language, you might as well embrace all it's aspects (grammar, speaking, reading, writing, spelling etc.). I come from a biracial family so I have 2 native tongues, Spanish and English. I'm currently learning a third language; French. Something that really helps me remember new vocabulary is creating mnemonic devices. Now, Spanish and French are both Romance tongues so I find a lot of words in Spanish that help me remember the words in French. Even though English is a Germanic tongue, I have been able to find words in English that help remember the new vocabulary in French.

Very important. Especially when you are learning a language with different alphabet than your own. Say Chinese characters, Hebrew cursive, Thai ...whatever that is lol.

Butttttt...when learning a new language I focus on speaking only. Once I have my first successful basic conversation behind me I will start to get involved in writing. For me it's important to know that I can have fun with the language first and that I like it's sound before I get into any serious studies.

So for the sake of convenience speaking should be your #1 priority. If you need to get quick directions from somebody on the street and you have to write it down for them to understand you...well, call me crazy but that doesn't sound too convenient to me.

Bottom line, if you are super serious about learning a language do writing exercises often - on daily basis if you can. But don't let it become more important than speaking. But if you just want to have fun and want to be able to read books in Japanese then you don't need to worry too much about speaking.

Cheers

Richard

I think it would depend on what a persons goals are.  If you are wanting to be totally fluent, it would be very important.  On the other hand, if you are learning because you are going to take a trip and would like to be able to communicate... writing is not as important.

I have never worried too much about the writing, but I do try to learn it.  I just don't consider it a priority.

Yes writing is a very important tool when learning a new and different language apart from ones own. This is because writing new words or phrases will help you recall the things dictated to you as something to always remember and apply later on. With writing, you can organize and structure the learnings you will be getting to form part of how you will apply the language in the oral sense of using it.

I agree with your comment. Writing is much important if we are learning new language. It is really helpful for pronunciation.

I think learning to speak a language and learning to read and write it, are two different things altogether. You can learn a language by listening to it and then repeating the words, associating what you have heard with a meaning. But actually learning to read and write it, is totally different. Take for example, Chinese. I bet you could learn it pretty ok, if you would live in China and had to do with it on a daily basis. But actually learning the script, would take you many more years to achieve.

Sorry for repeating myself, but there are 7 "skills" I think of when learning a language: reading, writing, conversation, listening, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. They all reinforce each other. If you're trying to reach an intermediate level or above, even if writing isn't one of your goals, you should write. Working on all the skills activates more of your mind than if you neglect any. So you should write, because it's more efficient than not writing.

That being said, I want to make it clear that I'm not saying to spend equal time on all skills. I'm mearly saying you shouldn't neglect any of them.

Writing is very important when learning a language, especially for me. It's pretty useless when you know how to say words but don't know how to spell them. You'd be like one of those people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" & "they're" with "their", a.k.a embarrassing. That aside, I've found that writing helps me learn, it helps the word stick in my brain for some reason. Combine that with listening and you've got yourself the recipe for success.

It depends on the learning way you choose, and what's good for you. I mean if you can remember easier by writing some things down, than of course get a vocabulary book, but if you like to listen to native speakers instead then you can concentrate on writing later on.

Sorry for repeating myself, but there are 7 "skills" I think of when learning a language: reading, writing, conversation, listening, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. They all reinforce each other. If you're trying to reach an intermediate level or above, even if writing isn't one of your goals, you should write. Working on all the skills activates more of your mind than if you neglect any. So you should write, because it's more efficient than not writing.

That being said, I want to make it clear that I'm not saying to spend equal time on all skills. I'm mearly saying you shouldn't neglect any of them.

I agree with this. All these aspects come together to help you gain a better and more in depth understanding of foreign languages. I know someone who speaks some English, but writes terribly and it's not a good thing at all. To see how he writes, you wonder where he learnt his English. If he were to take a basic English test, he'd fail it outright. Being a businessman, I feel he could do with polishing his writing skills.

It really depends on the language, but learning how to read and write is pretty important for Japanese. First you need to memorize the kana which consists of two different alphabets. Then you need to learn about 2000 kanji before you can really start to dig deep in grammar. If you have a good understanding of both, it will only help you learn the actual language easier. With English it's almost completely backwards. They say that you should really put more time into listening than reading and writing English because of all the extra ways we say certain words or phrases. 

I also agree that if you're really passionate about your chosen language, it's important that you learn it in its entirety. It takes a lot more work, but in the long run it comes in handy and can actually help the quality of your spoken and written skills. At the end of the day, it depends on then individual and what they plan to do with their new language skills, but for me personally, it's just illogical to learn one aspect of the language at the exclusion of the other.

My mother was Turkish, and she spent half of her life in Turkey, but she grew up in a time of war and turmoil. She never had the opportunity to go to school and formally gain an education, so though she spoke Turkish, she could barely write in the language. Her written grammar was very childlike. When she wanted to write to her family in Turkey, after we moved to the U.S., she would write the letter and then have me rewrite it. I know she wished she had learned more about writing. As it was, what she knew she had taught herself.

It really depends on the language, but learning how to read and write is pretty important for Japanese. First you need to memorize the kana which consists of two different alphabets. Then you need to learn about 2000 kanji before you can really start to dig deep in grammar. If you have a good understanding of both, it will only help you learn the actual language easier. With English it's almost completely backwards. They say that you should really put more time into listening than reading and writing English because of all the extra ways we say certain words or phrases. 

Not really.
I can read hiragana and katakana, in addition to around 300 kanji.
And before I started to speak Japanese, the amount of kanji I knew was around a mere 50-ish kanji.
I don't see how knowing all the kanji would help you speak Japanese.

It's not like Japanese children first learn to read and write before they can open their mouth and say "daddy" and "mummy" (ちち、はは), just this idea alone is very unrealistic.

I don't see how knowing all the kanji would help you speak Japanese.

It's not like Japanese children first learn to read and write before they can open their mouth and say "daddy" and "mummy" (ちち、はは), just this idea alone is very unrealistic.

To be fair, he said that you need all those kanji before you can really dig into the grammar. But that's also false. There are extensive grammars with furigana, kana, and even romaji, assuming you have to read to learn it.

Adults can't learn like children, so it makes little sense to compare them.

I think that it's essential, you can't be fluent in a language if you are illiterate in it. Most people focus mainly on the spoken language but imagine that you went to a country that you lernt the language of that country phonetically. Just trying to leave the airport would be an ordeal, unless there was someone to chaperon you. We tend to underestimate the written language but it's of great importance.

I would like to qualify: writing is important to learning a new language, but if the language comes with a particular writing and reading style (such as Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, Arabic and Russian characters), learning it presents a double burden. You have to be prepared and motivated so you can learn from start to finish. If you intend to learn a language that uses the alphabet like Spanish, German or French, I think it'll be much easier for you, writing-wise. Speaking it and getting the accent right are another story, though.

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. I would say it is very important! When writing in a language you are learning, your brain is forced to come up with new expressions and sentences that you may not be completely comfortable with. This natural exercise for your brain creates new pathways in your cognitive part of the brain and when you use those same expressions again, they will come out naturally.