Linguaholic

Hard To Pronounce Words

tulosai

• 3 weeks later...

I think "banana" and "umbrella" are very difficult for me to pronounce because I am not able to say them the correct way. Some people have a hard understand me when I try to say them, which I try but still can't get it the right pronunciations. I think it has something to do with using my tongue or something.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

English is an easy language phonetically. It only has a few words which are difficult to pronounce. The ones which I find difficult to pronounce include, Otolaryngology and entrepreneurship. These are the words which I struggle with sometimes.

• 3 months later...

There are a few English words that have me struggling to make the pronunciation but the one that comes to mind now is 'amateur'. Even when I think I have the pronunciation correctly it still sounds a bit awkward.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Anything that makes flip flops between L and R sounds.
Although I'm not a native speaker of any Asian language, living in Japan and speaking Japanese all the time made it almost impossible for me to correctly pronounce things like "Hillary", "salary", etc.
Additionally, some words that use "th" can be difficult, so it always ends up in an "f" sound.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2013 at 3:41 PM, tulosai said:

I'm especially interested in the opinions of non-native speakers, but Americans and Brits, feel free to chime in too.  What are some of the hardest English words for you to pronounce?

When I was starting to learn English one of the difficult word was "scheduled" I'm from central America.