Linguaholic

How old were you when you started to feel interested in learning languages?

Trellum

I was 16 at the time and I was reading a book about our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal. He was a linguist and a master of different languages. Being a fan of Jose Rizal, I naturally wanted to follow his footsteps and become a linguist myself. That was the start of my love for different languages. Now that gasoline that helped the little fire in my heart grow into a blazing inferno (aspiring poet here as well, LOL!) was my passion for travelling. I want to travel and see different cultures and communities. I guess being cooped up in a small town made me want to break free and find out about the places beyond the borders of my country. 

I'm a huge history buff and enjoy etymology trivia which really helped develop a keen interest in studying language.  Also in grade school everyone has sort of "romanticized" travelling to Europe and seeing the Ruins and Greece, so everyone wanted to go to Italy and Greece and learn their language. Then when I was 10-12, I was always watching Discovery Channel and a travel channel (I forget the name of the channel) and it sparked a wanderlust in me. I guess along with that came the desire to communicate in the native tongue.

I've always had the dream to travel a lot and face up with all the different culteres in the world. Actually I can't realise this dream, because I need a lot of money and a lot of time. Maybe I can't travel everywhere at this moment, but I may start to study the different foreign languages to understand better the different attitudes of the other places and to be ready at the right moment. So I started to learn English better in order to be sure to make me understand once abroad. I decided to enroll in the faculty of Modern Languages to begin my journey to the discovery of other languages.

I was sixteen I guess, I already studies english language in middle school then in high school english and german too. But when I decided to do my b2 language exam in my 3rd year  of high school I started to go to a language tutor. She helped me to learn the grammar and so and also talked about culture etc. That's when I realized how much more is there behind a language.  

I started becoming interested in learning a foreign language in college when we were required to watch some foreign films and write a reaction paper about it. I started to appreciate foreign films. I also had several schoolmates who were of different nationalities such as Indian, Japanese, Chinese and African. It was then that my mind was opened to different cultures and how much bigger the world is and how wonderful it is to hear someone speak in their native language.

But in the course of my life I have learned to say a few foreign phrases and memorized some foreign words. However, it is true that without constant exposure, you will never be fluent and you will tend to forget most of it. And also the written, speaking and understanding through hearing part of language speaking are all different areas that one must strive to learn.

I started to become interested in languages when I was graduating from high school. I was so sick and tired of preparing for all the final tests that I'd rather do anything else.

So, of course, I did my laundry - hahaha

When I was done cleaning my room later, I decided I needed something more. I realized the situation was so bad that I'd even be happy to *study* something else.

I figured - well, I kinda like Anime, right? Japanese sounds kinda cool. I'll learn just a little bit. So, I went online and got started.

It wasn't until few years later when it got really out of control and started with Chinese and even tried out some Korean as well!

To answer the question, it all started when I was 17. But I didn't get serious until I was like 20.

I never had any aspirations to learn "as many languages as possible" though. I will be perfectly satisfied with 5 or 6.