Linguaholic

Chinese learning can get you far

Guest alanbusiness

Guest alanbusiness

Shanghai’s US Consul General Robert Griffiths is an Example.The US Consul General in Shanghai first came to Taiwan as a young man from Nevada. He belonged to a religion that sent the youth to foreign countries for two years. Old American aristocracy also had that as a goal to educate the youth of America. Everyone was supposed to go to Europe to study. Robert at a very young age went to Taiwan. He took Chinese learning class as well as any foreigner can. He returned to the US and got his degree in Asian studies’ then worked for the most famous Senator Harry Reid. From there he went to Harvard specializing in Asian studies. After that he joined the Foreign Service. His calling in the Foreign Service was because he spoke mandarin and his work with Senator Reid. The state department at that time figured they had to spend at least 250,000 US dollars to train someone’s Chinese learning. Robert was already fluent. As he had lived with the Taiwanese he was much closer and understood the different cultures better than most diplomats. He was forward thinking by learning mandarin in his teens. It is an example that with Mandaringarden in your back pocket the whole world opens up by providing opportunities that are invaluable.                         

http://www.mandaringarden.org/LearnShare/2014-04-24/3919.html

• 2 months later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yes, China is now one of the biggest economies in the world. It makes sense that many governments and companies have relationships or want to have relationships with the Chinese, and Chinese speakers would definitely be in high demand.

New Zealand schools used to mainly teach French, Japanese and Spanish. However, since we export a lot of dairy and meat products to China, schools have begun offering Chinese. That is basically an admission that knowing how to speak Chinese is an extremely important skill at the moment.

I really wish that I had listened to my parents when I was younger and thought learning Chinese was too difficult. It's a complex language, but the reward is being able to communicate with a billion more people.