Linguaholic

Have you ever heard about the TED OTP Project?

linguaholic

Did you ever heard about TED Talks? If yes, what is your opinion about it?

I recently had to hold a presentation about the TED Open Translation Project. It's quite interesting. Please have a look:

https://www.ted.com/about/programs-initiatives/ted-open-translation-project

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard of TED Talks before. I used to watch some of their videos. They have very interesting topics and speakers there. However, it's my first time to hear about OTP Project. Did you say you made a presentation for TED Talks? Wow! That's truly great. TED Talks speakers are shakers in their field. So, yeah congratulations for being one of the speakers.

• 1 month later...

No, I've never heard about the TED OTP project before. I just had a quick read via your link, and I'm very impressed by the initiative, I think it's brilliant! Wow, 300 translations in 40 languages is amazing. Kudos to you also for being one of the presenters. You guys are doing a great job.

I have made it a habit to listen to one TED talk a day (sometimes the most recent, sometimes an older one). Nice to have on my phone while exercising or cooking - few of them show graphics so I barely miss a thing. The majority are in English which I don't mind at all.

That makes it sound like TED talks are mere background noise like any random podcast but no, I've found almost every single one I listened to fascinating. Educational. Makes me sit and think.

It's still great to have translators doing the OTP because occasionally I really want to show my relatives or friends a presentation and not all of them are able to speak/understand fluent English. Being able to share talks this way is great!

I'm curious... did your presentation cover something interesting that's not immediately obvious from the site?

To be honest I had no idea this project even existed. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us!!!  I'm currently studying Dutch and will be having a very important exam soon, those subtitled talk will surely help me greatly!  I only wished they made the subtitles even bigger and easier to read.  That is the only complaint I have regarding to this project, other than that... AMAZING job.

• 3 months later...

This is such a great initiative! I listen to TED talks from time to time, and I often wish I could share some of my favourites with those friends who don't speak English.