Linguaholic

How do you find others that speak your language?

A0130

In public the only people I know that would be willing to speak Spanish with me are complete strangers. Is there any way to meet new people and test your language skills on people without being creepy?

In a lot of cities there are groups for precisely that. In Belfast we have the Spanish Circle, also adult classes on Spanish which as well as teaching have conversation evenings that are largely social occasions where everyone speaks Spanish. Check further education colleges and universities - they often have something like that.

I live in a state where more than 90% of people speak my native language. So, it's not difficult to find one speaks mu language lol. But yeah, it's difficult to find someone who can string a proper sentence and speak fluently in English here :)

Well, I guess the internet gives great opportunites to find people with the same interests. In my opinion it's just hard to find some of those who lives nearby but that might depend on where you live.

Exactly :) And you don't really have to find people who live nearby if you're fine with talking via Skype or other, similar service.

A good site for finding people speaking different languages is www.interpals.net. It has a great, detailed search system.

If you're a girl you risk some Middle Eastern guys wanting to date you, though.

Exactly :) And you don't really have to find people who live nearby if you're fine with talking via Skype or other, similar service.

A good site for finding people speaking different languages is www.interpals.net. It has a great, detailed search system.

If you're a girl you risk some Middle Eastern guys wanting to date you, though.

Well, I guess the same goes with Eastern Europe or Far Eastern girls if you're a boy.

Have you ever been to this site or is it speculation? Because I'm an Easter European girl and also I don't recall ever seeing this or seeing people complain about this on Interpals forums.

Some more good language exchange sites:

http://en.coeffee.com/

http://www.lingoglobe.com/

http://www.busuu.com (warning: this one can send quite a lot of e-mails sometimes, so it might be a good idea to register with an e-mail that's not your primary address)

• 1 month later...

I think you could probably find a person who speaks your language easily. I don't think that you would be able to find a lot of people who know your language. You could easily go to a university to find a language speaker.

• 3 months later...

You may look for people who are willing to teach you or talk to you in your desired language. There are groups out there who are willing to help people like you to learn and to converse in the language that you choose.

That does sound a bit creepy if you are abroad, but in your native country to speak your native language, it isnt much of a task, and also if you are to speak in a language that is quite commonly spoken in your area, it wont be much of a tough task either, it only gets tough when you are learning a new language and there are not much people who know that language, then its really hard to find one and have conversations with.