Linguaholic

Is English part of your education?

Yes, In my country we have all the coursework in English. The medium of teaching is our mother tongue but that too is changing with time, more and more people are attracted to schools where the medium of teaching is English. Well, learning English is very important as it helps you to communicate with the rest of the world, but you should not forget about your mother tongue. You should respect it , and at least learn it.

Yes. Here you have 9 years of basic education. At third class you start English, and it continues for the rest six years. After that where ever you go, there will be English. It seems that in my country they understand that English is a very important language. And it really is.

• 4 weeks later...

In our country, even if we uses our native language in school, English is still a major part of our curriculum from pre-school to college. In discussing science, mathematics and technical subjects, we also uses English language and that made us know English even at young age.

How about in your country, is English also part of your education?

Yes in my country English is a part of our education system. All of our schools make English to be the mother language for the country in order for us to sit the CSEC/ CXC  Examinations. It also make us better communicators to the general public and better class room teachers. In schools the English language is taught form as early as four years old to get them equip for the primary and high schools level.

For the most part, yes. It is mandatory in all elementary schools, and as you get older it becomes more specialized and more of an option then a mandate. Even though I'm not in school anymore, I am constantly educating myself in the English language. I find it helps a great deal in learning other languages.

English isn't a big part of education in my country. Here, English is only a subject like Science and Math. English is only used during English class while everything else is taught in my national language. Because of this, students either get real good at it or they don't. There's no in between or average users.

It's superb to know that in your country English is a major part of the school curriculum. I do live in an English speaking country but we also speak creole so it means that we have to study to master the art of English.

In Vietnam, English is a part of education. In my case, I started learning English when i was grade 6 at secondary school and ended at grade 12. However, I think that almost student could not speak English well after 7 years of learning this language as a subject at school. The reason is that teacher's skill is not very good to teach students. They always focus on grammar and students do not have any chance to pratice English speaking skill. Moreover, teacher do not pronounce English words correctly.  :frozen:

Even in my native country of America where English is the primary language, the course is still a requirement in the school system. For instance in college, you have to take English 101 and 102 that focuses on writing, grammar, and a little literature. English was one of my favorite subjects growing up.

In our country, even if we uses our native language in school, English is still a major part of our curriculum from pre-school to college. In discussing science, mathematics and technical subjects, we also uses English language and that made us know English even at young age.

English is a must learn, even if you know other language its important to learn English.

I was taught English and Chinese since young where I'm from. English is an integral part of our country's education system, probably because our government recognized the benefits of being proficient in the language.

This has been an eye-opening thread. I didn't know that English was taught in other countries. I really like the idea of teaching a foreign language in schools.

I wish that idea was embraced by the public school education system in the United States. My first taste of a foreign language wasn't until I was in high school.

• 2 weeks later...

In Portugal English is taught officially from age 6, but many start learning it as an extracurricular activity since they are 3 or 4 years old. I think this is a great measure because the sooner kids start to learn the easier they do learn. Apart from that, I just love hearing my 6 year old with English expressions, he just looks cool!  :cool:

Yes. Here in the Philippines, we learn the English language from Elementary, High-School and even College. English is the main medium of Language that we used, somehow we are taught to have a colonial mentality which means, foreign is better, which is utterly false. English has helped our Country in a lot of ways but sometimes we forget that we are Filipinos and that we need to use our native tongue to improve our country just the same. Especially when it comes to our laws which are all in English, that is why common people or those who have not been educated cannot understand most of our laws and end up being ignorant.

In Romania, English is mandatory in school, but I never learned crap at school. The English teachers I've had so far didn't know how to pronounce words or translate most of them. They would come up with an English adaptation of a Romanian word instead of translating properly. My grade 11 teacher didn't know what "oak tree" means...

When I was in School up to my first 2 semesters in University yes I used to study everything fully in English except Religion class and Arabic. Now that I am in Semester 3 I am studying my classes fully in German and that would be until I finish my Bachelors :)