Linguaholic

Is English part of your education?

When I was in school, almost all subjects were discussed in English. The government changed that system though, and now kids have to learn subjects like math and science in our native language. That probably sounds reasonable but there are things that are just too difficult to translate in Filipino (Leads to questions like "How would you translate condensation?"). I'm sure the kids will be able to adjust eventually... it's the parents that I'm more worried about.  :laugh:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

In our country, even if we uses our native language in school, English is still a major part of our curriculum from pre-school to college. In discussing science, mathematics and technical subjects, we also uses English language and that made us know English even at young age.

How about in your country, is English also part of your education?

Yes, English is a primary language that everyone should learn even if they speak another language. It is also important because most countries speak English. So if you speak French or Spanish, English should be your second language .

In Singapore, each race has their own native languages and gets to learn them in soon, but English is the main language of my country. We take English as a subject all the way till junior college (equivalent to senior high school). As a Chinese, I'm forced to use English so often that I'm not fluent in my own mother tongue anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In our country, even if we uses our native language in school, English is still a major part of our curriculum from pre-school to college. In discussing science, mathematics and technical subjects, we also uses English language and that made us know English even at young age.

How about in your country, is English also part of your education?

English is the first language that everyone should learn. And yes it is a major part of our school curriculum. It is also important for everyone across the globe to learn English.

In Venezuela, it varies. It is part of primary and high school education in some places but only part of high school education in others. I am glad that I had english through primary and high school as it helped me greatly with grammar, as I already had some vocabulary knowledge but knew nothing about proper grammar.

English is most definently part of my education and it feels like it always has been. I started learning english in school in 2nd grade when I was 8 years old and it is still part of my education now at 20. In Sweden it is basically mandatory to learn english and I think you'll find very few swedes that don't know the english language well. At least well enough to get by, not everyone is completely fluent of course. Apart from it being a mandatory subject in school I think many swedes learn a lot of english from music and especially from watching TV and movies in english. Unlike in Germany we don't dub movies and TV to Swedish (apart from childrens programs) so even if there are swedish subtitles you're bound to catch up on some english too.

I'm from Singapore, and the school environment is English, and everyone except the a-lot-older generation can speak it. It's a little funny, because our actual national language is Bahasa Melayu, and most of the population is Chinese.

I've studied Foreign Languages, so English is naturally a part of my education. Plus, even since I was a kid that I know pretty much the basics of English and some other advanced aspects, I guess. I've never had to study for an English test and always had top scores. People would ask me how and I couldn't explain. Mysteries of life...

English is part of Malaysia's education system since pre-school. Here, English is everywhere basically; TV, internet, newspaper and not forgetting about the people's own Manglish (Malaysian-English).

There are some who are not able to speak conversationally in English, but almost all would understand if a lost tourist asks for direction or whatnot. It's just a matter of answering back... confidently  :wink:

My bachelor degree is an English program, so yea, English is part of the education.

Yes English is definitely part of my education. English develop our language and keep us attentive to both academic and survival English. Knowing English helps you to be fluent and to be a good social communicator. Without English, there will be difficulty with another language that is required for academic purposes. 

In Ireland, English is the most important out of all the subjects simply because most Irish children can't write in proper English and they don't have a developed vocabulary even when they finish 6th year in secondary school.

Yes, in South-Africa English is a compulsory subject at most of the schools here, all but the rural one's and we must do it from when start schooling until we graduate.

In Ireland, English is the most important out of all the subjects simply because most Irish children can't write in proper English and they don't have a developed vocabulary even when they finish 6th year in secondary school.

I'm wondering why this is the case in Ireland. Why is it that it's so difficult for Irish to excel in English at an early age? Is it because of the lack of similarity in sounds of English words to Irish words? It's good that English is mandatory there.

I'm from Sweden, and learning English is mandatory here. We start learning it in year 2 or 3 (it varies a bit depending on where you live), which equals age 9-10, and then we study it throughout school. Once you reach university, almost all the course material is in English and I think a lot of the times you're supposed to hand in both Swedish and English versions of essays you write.

Apart from that, you hear English all the time on the radio and telly. We don't dub tv-shows & movies, like they do in a lot of European countries, and I think that might be a contributing factor as to why Swedes are known for being rather good at English.

In the United States you're supposed to take an English course every year in a public school.  I don't know how it is in private schools, or charter schools but I would think they do the same.  Most English classes are so easy that it's not even a real class for most.  In tests like the SAT, and  the High School Assessment there is an English category that you're supposed to do.

My country does not have one educational system. It has a multitude of educational systems. I studied under two boards of education: the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) and Matriculation. English was the mode of instruction in both the boards, although, I must state that the quality in the first was way better than that of the second.

English is a major part of our curriculum from pre-school to college. English is our second language and most people here know how to speak English even before they went to school because they were taught by there parents or siblings. I know some people who don't know how to speak English but they try to learn it and it makes me smile because I can see their eagerness and how determined they are to learn it.