Linguaholic

Visiting Places Where They Speak French

tulosai

Has anyone here visited French speaking countries? If so, for how long? Do you feel it improved your French language skills?

I was able to live in France for a year and feel my spoken French improved immeasurably in that time.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Canada which is an officially bilingual country. I have traveled to Quebec several times. The problem is that in Quebec you will most likely be spoken to in English, at least in the big cities.

I have been to France twice for about a week each time. I found that even these short trips helped my French a lot, but it was really not enough time to see much improvement.

• 1 month later...

I visited France. But it was only for 3 days. So, it didn't improve my fluency at all. I tried to do a study abroad in Cannes. But it didn't work. I couldn't get the scholarship for it. I still wonder how much better my French would be today, if i had gone.

I have never been to any country that speaks French, but due to my job as a booking agent in a call center, i talk everyday to many people that speak French and who are mainly from France, Canada and Belgium. I have to admit that every call that i get is like travelling to that country and having a conversation with the passenger, but i have already made a decision to make the conversations real and visit Paris soon to see how it is like to live with French people.

• 2 years later...

I've been to France and I feel that it takes about 3 months to get used to the language everyone uses in everyday life. I was only there for 2 weeks so I don't know that much French other than High School French. However, my friend went in High school and is fluent in French and English. He went for 4-6 months at a time and went to school there. It gave him a huge jump from French III to AP French in High School. I only went up to French IV, it does help you in short term if you go for a few weeks, but 3 months will help you better in the long term.

Once i got a chance to visit France. I was totally new there. I stay there for one month and totally enjoyed beautiful eiffel tower at a mesmerizing evening moreover i got a chance to visit Venice city which was beautiful. but through my stay i did not felt any problem in communicating with native people but still i would suggest you to have a crash course of french learning or for more info you can visit http://www.iecuniversity.com/ Hope i have offerd some help

I learnt French is school and actually forgot most of it until I went there for a holiday and started to pick it up again. Since then I have made an effort to try and use French just so I don't forget but I was only there two weeks so to say I improved on my language skills would be lying, I just remembered them that's all, however little it may be :)

I'd love to visit France again. Despite some people being rude and the service really dreadful at times, I absolutely love this country, and if only I were rich, I'd go there all the time. It has everything I love about travelling - special atmosphere, rich history, amazing architecture, lovely cafes all around, and picturesque landscapes. Plus, people talking French, one of my favourite languages in the world. I was really terrified with the latest events in Paris, and I hope with all my heart that such horror will never happen again

I'll share the experience of my ex-girlfriend who was able to go to France and live and work there for few months while she was in college studying French. Before going she was very nervous and almost didn't even apply, but I pushed her (wrong move for our relationship, but a good one for her) and she eventually went. At first she was tentative even though she could understand people around her just fine, but she had trouble speaking. Working with kids helped her a lot and she was able to start speaking and she agrees that she couldn't have mastered French as well as she has if she hadn't gone to France and spent few months there.

• 1 month later...

A lot of students go there as au père to get better at the language. Other than that, wherever you live you should be able to find a french meeting of some kind on places like meet up or even on facebook groups if you type français + the name of the city where you live.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in France and to practice my english and to be better in this language, i find an association named Tripmeeters which organize event in Paris to pratice english and French. So i advise you to try this =) this is often free, and perfect to progress quickly !!