Linguaholic

Best method of word memorization?

kyogul

A while ago I read on a blog that memorizing direct translations of words hinders language learning. For example to memorize toe Spanish word for carne, most would memorize what it translates to in their main language (for me, English), meat. The blog continued to say that continuing down this route would lead to a dependency of mental translation whenever you hear words in the language you're learning, which I've already experienced a sliver of that in the Spanish classes I had to take in highschool. The blog suggested to memorize pictures instead of words or some other form of association, which is a simple solution, but it stops once you hit words that don't have visuals, such as articles and other various forms within grammar. I think association is a much better way than learning direct translations, but can anyone give me tips for the most effective route way of doing so, and also how to get over the aforementioned grammar block that lacks visuals?

I've been self-studying German for the past 15 months. I read German newspapers, for 4+ hours every day. I've compiled a German-English dictionary of over 18000 words. So, I'm pretty familiar with the problem of memorizing the words.

I think visualization is ineffective. It might work for a wordlist of 500 or 1000 words, but hardly for a wordlist of 5000 words or more. Your associations (visualizations) will just get totally confused as time passes by and you add new associations. I tried using the method a while ago for a few words that adamantly resisted entering my (long-term) memory. And for a week or two I really could refresh the words in my memory with the aid of the visualization technique. But then I moved on to new words (which still come by the dozen daily), and the analogies I have initially drawn up for the words kept on becoming mistier and mistier. Now, about 6 months after trying this technique I only remember that the analogy had to do with a forest. I now don't remember either German words or their English translations.

Based on my experience in learning German, I would say that there’s no trick to fool your mind. It will remember foreign words or their visualizations only if you repeat the words or visualizations very many times. A while ago I’ve read a study that said that to remember a new word one needs to repeat it about 15 times (if you stick to visualizations, you need to visualize the word for at least 15 times). From experience, I can say that for some words even 30 repetitions are not enough.

The key is to repeat foreign words over extended periods of time. If you learn a word today, repeat it tomorrow morning (most likely, you’ll remember it; but, most likely, you’ll have forgotten it in a week, without additional repetition during this time). Then in a week. And in a month. In addition, every time you look up the word in your self-compiled dictionary while reading Spanish newspapers, books etc., you increase the chances of lodging it permanently in your long-term memory. So, you constantly repeat the words from your self-compiled dictionary and also repeat them as they pop up during your reading. Two-pronged approach, so to speak.

However, as your word list grows bigger and bigger, repeating older words becomes problematic—because if you regularly repeat older words, little time will likely remain for adding new words to the list. That’s my case with a wordlist of 18000+ words. My plan is to reach a milestone of about 25000 words and then set aside a month or so to just repeat the words from the list, without adding any new ones in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

I'd not believe what those bloggers say is 100% accurate, at least not for everyone, because as you might know we are all different and learn in different ways.  I learnt english in a very intuitive and natural way, not using direct translation, that worked great, but I was 16 years old back then.  So what worked for me then might not even work for me now.  So can you imagine how it is for most people? 

Some learn better using word,s other images.  I used to make my flash cards when I wanted to learn Finnish.  I thought it was a good idea then, but right now I'd not see them as really helpful, since my learning style has changed. Now I'm suffering from a rare health impairment (brain), so my mind doesn't seem to process images so well when it comes to memorization.  Everyone is different, you see?  People also change a lot...

What I am trying to say here is that you need to find what works for YOU, you got to do this by trial and error.  Just like I did. It's funny, but active listening is helping me learn dutch, even though I believe it impossible some years ago, but active listening seems to be working for me.  Memorizing entire phrases has helped me use the word order in dutch almost instinctively.  Now I know when the order is off... I know know!  Just like kids do with their mother language!

I totally agree with you there, Trellum. Sometimes we have to be careful what we take from these bloggers, because it's their subjective opinion. What they prefer may not necessarily work for the next person. This is why I steer of the prescriptive types. I always think it's best to suggest, rather than to cite a certain way as the gospel truth, or even as the one only method that works. Some people even prefer the most unconventional methods, which may not make sense to others. So yes, it's all about what works for you as an individual :)

I totally agree with you there, Trellum. Sometimes we have to be careful what we take from these bloggers, because it's their subjective opinion. What they prefer may not necessarily work for the next person. This is why I steer of the prescriptive types. I always think it's best to suggest, rather than to cite a certain way as the gospel truth, or even as the one only method that works. Some people even prefer the most unconventional methods, which may not make sense to others. So yes, it's all about what works for you as an individual :)

Yeah :D  I dislike those people that because they have a blog think they are an authority when it comes to learning languages or how the brain works, lol.  They think they know the absolute truth because they used a method that worked great for them, and they think that as a result it will also work for others.

What irks me most is that they make those claims not even having a second thought on how those words will affect someone else's choices, because some people believe everything they read in a blog, specially if the author seems to be so confident what he is saying is the absolute truth.

Yeah :D  I dislike those people that because they have a blog think they are an authority when it comes to learning languages or how the brain works, lol.  They think they know the absolute truth because they used a method that worked great for them, and they think that as a result it will also work for others.

What irks me most is that they make those claims not even having a second thought on how those words will affect someone else's choices, because some people believe everything they read in a blog, specially if the author seems to be so confident what he is saying is the absolute truth.

You couldn't have put it better, Trellum! The tragic thing is that some people buy whatever they say, line, hook and sinker!

If you don't mind me asking, how many languages do you speak and which ones are those? I don't know why, but I get the feeling that you have quite a few languages under your belt! -and I'm ever so envious LOL

When my husband was trying to learn Nihonggo because he wanted to impress their Japanese boss, I noticed that he has a list of phrases and sentences. The first line has the good morning - ohaiyo, good afternoon - konichiwa, good evening - konbanwa. Now, why do you think I remember those greetings? Simply because I had been practicing those with my husband at the time.

That's what I know for the best method in learning a language is to use it. And for best measure, phrases and sentences are better than mere words. In our Spanish class in college, we had memorized 100 Spanish words like boca for mouth, orejos for ears but all the other words, I had already forgotten due to non-use. Again, practice or speaking the language (that you are learning) is the best way for me.

I generally stick post-it notes on my wall. That way I HAVE to see the new vocabulary every day whether I like it or not, and slowly over time, it just sticks. I have a few friends who love to make flash cards and get other people to check whether they've got the right words. Another method which works for some people is just making huge lists, and setting apart time to read through them.

The use of post-it notes all over the place is another method that definitely works for me. There's certainly great psychology behind it, because for me the more I see it, the more it sticks in my head, too. The other thing I sometimes do with my French friends is text them in French. I'm a lot more comfortable writing than speaking, so my friends are always at the ready with advise, a pat on the back and any corrections. But on the whole I get good feedback. They know I speak some French but are often shocked by the level of knowledge I display in my writing. I guess I just need to drum up more courage to actually speak more!

You couldn't have put it better, Trellum! The tragic thing is that some people buy whatever they say, line, hook and sinker!

If you don't mind me asking, how many languages do you speak and which ones are those? I don't know why, but I get the feeling that you have quite a few languages under your belt! -and I'm ever so envious LOL

Right now I only speak 3 languages :)  I speak both English and Spanish quite fluently, I also speak some dutch (I'm in the process to master it - it should happen in the next 6 months). 

I can read some Hebrew as well (but I need to brush it up, since I have forgotten quite a bit).  I  wanted to learn a lot languages in the past :)  I have some very basic knowledge of Norwegian, but super rusty. Maybe one day i might learn it jut for fun (it's so easy).

That's really good method to remember translated worlds, but I've my own method which works a lot, each time I learn a new work I make a relation between it and another word in my native language, like that once I search for the word I can find it easily !

• 2 months later...

There are hundreds to thousands of new words that you need to remember if you are serious about learning a new language. That would require the same number of flashcards should I choose that route so I just create my mental flashcards by associating each word with something that is directly related to or quite similar to my native language. When there is no relation at all I just force my mind to just remember it

Right now I only speak 3 languages :)  I speak both English and Spanish quite fluently, I also speak some dutch (I'm in the process to master it - it should happen in the next 6 months). 

I can read some Hebrew as well (but I need to brush it up, since I have forgotten quite a bit).  I  wanted to learn a lot languages in the past :)  I have some very basic knowledge of Norwegian, but super rusty. Maybe one day i might learn it jut for fun (it's so easy).

There are hundreds to thousands of new words that you need to remember if you are serious about learning a new language. That would require the same number of flashcards should I choose that route so I just create my mental flashcards by associating each word with something that is directly related to or quite similar to my native language. When there is no relation at all I just force my mind to just remember it

Flash cards or using Memrise ;)  Thanks to them I have learnt a lot new words in dutch ;D  It's 100% free, and you can create your own word lists.  I'm currently working on my own word list... using all the words from the dutch course I need to study in order to pass my exam. Memrise really makes things much easier.

Hey Kyogul

I'm currently studying two languages at the same time. I got like hundreds of words in one, and over a thousand in the other.

I'm at the point where learning new words will cost old ones from lack of repetition. Basically the same thing Eugene111 mentioned in post #2.

I was frustrated for months with this. This was a huge setback, since I studied but did not improve. I just didn't have the time to effectively review hundreds of words and learn let's say 10 new ones everyday (memorizing Kanji/Hanzi characters made it all even worse. uhhh and the tones in Chinese).

Finally, one day I've found solution - ANKI. I don't know if you are familiar with this software or not but it's basically a simple flashcard system.

Now the real magic Anki offers is timed repetitions in random order. The easier words get repeated less often the complex words everyday until you get it right!

After I started to use Anki on daily basis in my studies learning vocab was not a problem anymore.

So start using it, it's a god-sent seriously! It's available on all platforms I believe (Win, Mac, Android, ...)

As for what the bloggers said regarding about translating the words in your head...I have to agree with them. Do not translate words in your head, "accept" them. If you are listening to a native speaker and your trying to translate everything in your head you will not be able to keep up with the conversation. Unless you're a robot I guess, lol!

I don't know how to explain it but basically you want the word become part of you, not something you have to think about for a few seconds every time you hear it.

The picture association...not sure. It does help me sometimes when learning Japanese Kanji/Chinese Hanzi. But I try not to rely on it. You should know these things by heart.

Lol, sorry to sound so spiritual but I hope it makes sense!

Basically repeat/review a lot, relax, don't kill yourself over it, and mainly have fun!

Sometimes it takes me a week to learn some word that just doesn't stick in my head. But daily repetition will prevail in the end. It always did for me!

Hope this was helpful!

Richard

@Richard. H....I'm glad that the ANKI software is working for you. It sure sounds like an interesting way of learning, which ties in with my belief that the more you practice, the more it sticks and the better you get. So yes, repetition should work! I absolutely agree, part of the 'secret' is to have fun while learning!

There are a lot of ways actually to memorize things whether they are words, pictures, places, names and others and if used in learning a language would also be great. One of these is the use of Pnemonics and this requires remembering words by using a another set of words using the first letters of the words you wish to memorize. Another way is through association with pictures as already mentioned above. Still another way is through the use of a memory palace wherein you visualize a place that you are familiar with like your home and put things here in your mind that you are memorizing. People are said to be able to memorize volumes of books through the use of this technique but you need a lot of concentration on this one. Good luck and more power to all of us.

I think memorisation is a personal preference thing. For instance, my husband has a photographic memory. He can see you from a crowd five years ago, and he will still remember your face when he sees you again now. I'm not like that, I'm good with memorising words as it is. I'm not too familiar with faces. I will remember your name, but not so much your face. So yes, for some maybe a flash card method can help. But for others, the plain old dictionary is the best method. Writing is another method of which other people memorise. So I think it just varies.

I don't really know what's the "best word memorization method" out there but I do know a method that works best for me and it's none other than the acronym mnemonic technique. For instance, if today's language lesson is all about greetings, I line up all the greetings as well as their foreign language equivalent. I memorize all the first letters of each greeting and lump them together in acronyms. This will then give me an idea of their meaning. For example:

• Good Morning - Ohayo Gozaimasu
  • Good Afternoon - Kon'nichiwa
  • Good Evening - Konbanwa

So MAE = OKK. Just remembering those acronyms help spur my memory and it won't be difficult to memorize everything, no matter how long. Memorizing characters is another story, however. That part usually requires extensive practice.

Edited by xTinx

Hey Kyogul

I'm currently studying two languages at the same time. I got like hundreds of words in one, and over a thousand in the other.

I'm at the point where learning new words will cost old ones from lack of repetition. Basically the same thing Eugene111 mentioned in post #2.

I was frustrated for months with this. This was a huge setback, since I studied but did not improve. I just didn't have the time to effectively review hundreds of words and learn let's say 10 new ones everyday (memorizing Kanji/Hanzi characters made it all even worse. uhhh and the tones in Chinese).

Finally, one day I've found solution - ANKI. I don't know if you are familiar with this software or not but it's basically a simple flashcard system.

Now the real magic Anki offers is timed repetitions in random order. The easier words get repeated less often the complex words everyday until you get it right!

After I started to use Anki on daily basis in my studies learning vocab was not a problem anymore.

So start using it, it's a god-sent seriously! It's available on all platforms I believe (Win, Mac, Android, ...)

As for what the bloggers said regarding about translating the words in your head...I have to agree with them. Do not translate words in your head, "accept" them. If you are listening to a native speaker and your trying to translate everything in your head you will not be able to keep up with the conversation. Unless you're a robot I guess, lol!

I don't know how to explain it but basically you want the word become part of you, not something you have to think about for a few seconds every time you hear it.

The picture association...not sure. It does help me sometimes when learning Japanese Kanji/Chinese Hanzi. But I try not to rely on it. You should know these things by heart.

Lol, sorry to sound so spiritual but I hope it makes sense!

Basically repeat/review a lot, relax, don't kill yourself over it, and mainly have fun!

Sometimes it takes me a week to learn some word that just doesn't stick in my head. But daily repetition will prevail in the end. It always did for me!

Hope this was helpful!

Richard

Richard, I tried installing ANKI a few months ago, sadly i couldn't get it to work for me :(  It kept asking me to just my laptop's clock...  I tried that, but ended up feeling so frustrated because in the end I couldn't get it to work; it kept asking me the same thing over and over. I tried to find help online, but I found none :(  It's a shame because this software sounded like a great way to learn new words. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the best thread I've ever seen on the subject. It's really long, but there are a wide variety of methods, so one's bound to appeal to you.

I'll just make a few comments about what's been said already on this thread. The SRS (like Anki) is a godsend for people who like to keep all the vocabulary they've ever learned in lists, flashcards, etc. and periodically review them. Not everybody likes to learn that way, but if you do, you should consider it because logical spaced repetition reviews saves you a lot of time and effort.

A while ago I read on a blog that memorizing direct translations of words hinders language learning.

This is what Rosetta Stone would have you believe. I have never met anyone who reached a high level in a language and started with RS. Imo, the statement is clearly false. People have been successfully learning languages using translation for thousands of years, and RS can't change that.

Mnemonics can be very useful. I don't use them unless I get stuck - why invent an association if I don't have to, right?

My favorite method is first writing down the word or sentence, then saying out loud a few times. The technics we used in middle school to learn english really stayed with me. Essentially I need to write down things to remember them, even in every day life I think. 

So, I get a vocabulary ruled notebook and I write down the word and the meaning next to each other. After the page is full I say out loud all of them a few times. I know that it may sound childish or a little bit slow work, but I like to write it down because it stays easier.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with @hungary93.  I have to both visualize and hear the word in order to memorize it.  I like repeating the word over and over to myself.  I also need to see how to spell the word, therefore I like to write them on index cards to help memorize.  A lot of my friends are able to study and memorize words from their not book of textbook.  However, I need to both visualize and hear a word to get a grasp on it. 

I think audio books are a good way to start memorizing words. You just have to keep at it and repeat what you have learned. Eventually, the words that you learned and memorized will just come to you naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like me kind of thread! 

I can only recommend this app and online page - memrise. Basically it's like Duolingo, but I does not do anything else just repeating the words and idioms for you so you can remember them later.

A little bit annoying after a few weeks but you can set goals and reminders.