Linguaholic

Mind mapping

Trellum

Who here has tried using mind maps instead of taking grammar notes?  I have done it myself and let me tell you is not as difficult and tedious as it would seem, actually I find doing this way more helpful than taking notes the usual way. I've found this mind mapping method makes it easier for me to remember important things, specially certain grammar.

I recently made a mind map to remember what some of the rules to know when a word is a De or Het word in Dutch.  I also plan to use it to remember the adjective endings and so on.  I've found mind mapping is a wonderful method to organize several ideas in just one place :)

I might scan and post some of my mind maps in the future (Dutch learning section), just to give dutch student an idea on how to create their own mind maps.

I've definitely used mind maps a lot for languages, and I find them very useful once you've worked out how to lay them out. It took me one or two messy mind maps to get the hang of fitting things efficiently onto one page, but once you're got it, it's a really easy and efficient way to take language notes. I also remember things better when I've mind mapped them.

Wow, things have certainly moved right along since I last learnt a foreign language! I can honestly say this is not something I've heard of, let alone tried. But I'm always open to suggestions, so I'll definitely be looking more into it. It sounds interesting, and anything that helps make the learning process easier is all good to me. Thanks, Trellum :)

You are welcome @lushlala, Mind mapping is something I first heard about when I was just 13 years old.  I was taking a NLP course and some sessions as well to help me deal with some issues. It was then when I was introduced to this technique, but I never could get into it until now. To be honest I thought it was tedious, but I don't anymore, to me it is more tedious to write all those notes and then trying to remember all those grammar rules later. With mind mapping is much easier to remember things.

I've definitely used mind maps a lot for languages, and I find them very useful once you've worked out how to lay them out. It took me one or two messy mind maps to get the hang of fitting things efficiently onto one page, but once you're got it, it's a really easy and efficient way to take language notes. I also remember things better when I've mind mapped them.

That is awesome :D Mind maps can be applied to many different areas, I  never used them for other subjects at school, but I think they are perfect for learning languages, because even if they take quite a bit time to make and design... it's ok, because you will be going back to them often enough if you need to freshen up your knowledge.  This is why I don't feel annoyed they can be so time consuming, they are so worth it it.

I Absolutely love mind mapping! I do it for all kinds of subjects and I think it goes quite well with language and grammar studies. I'm a very visual person to begin with, most of my notes end up in doodle form anyway. So mind mapping comes very naturally to me.

I just read up a little bit about the concept and it sure sounds interesting. So I'm not surprised that it's proving to be very popular. Although I'm not sure if it would work for me because I learn better through taking notes, it's well worth trying out just to see how I fare. After all, I don't have anything to lose :)

I just read up a little bit about the concept and it sure sounds interesting. So I'm not surprised that it's proving to be very popular. Although I'm not sure if it would work for me because I learn better through taking notes, it's well worth trying out just to see how I fare. After all, I don't have anything to lose :)

I used to think I  learnt better that way as well, but after seeing how easy is to remember info before an exam using mind mapping, let me tell you I really recommend you this technique.  If you are going to have an exam or really need to remember a set of grammar rules fast, then this is the way to go.  It's kinda fun to turn my notes into mind maps :)

• 3 months later...

Mindmapping works well for me when I try to learn a lot of words with the same root, it really looks much more organized and somehow this "neatness" gets transferred to my brain much easier than when I used traditional learning methods.

Mindmaps are definitely a nice technique. At least, they are for me, and I'm happy to know there are other people out there who also use them :)

I have never heard of mind maps. Thanks for the tip! This sounds like an interesting way to learn a new language. I have tried so many different techniques and some are better than others. I am always looking for new ways to help me learn French. 

If you are interested Tony Buzan have a set of books concerning learning and mind mapping. So far i read his Perfect Memory book and it was an amazing experience. I did not believe that i could be able to remember all the thing he mentioned at the beginning of the book and that it would be that easy but i was wrong. I remembered 100 percent of the tasks in the book. I really could not believe. And now i have a system set in my mind forever. I can remember long numbers so easily now. Actually the amount of number is not important i can remember as much as i really want. So i strongly recommend this author because he has a nice way of explaining the important things. My next book will be Mind mapping.

9780563520344.jpg

I have personally never heard of Mind Mapping before. It would be cool to learn this technique, as it might help in other areas of life as well, besides learning another language. Thanks for the info on this.

Tha

If you are interested Tony Buzan have a set of books concerning learning and mind mapping. So far i read his Perfect Memory book and it was an amazing experience. I did not believe that i could be able to remember all the thing he mentioned at the beginning of the book and that it would be that easy but i was wrong. I remembered 100 percent of the tasks in the book. I really could not believe. And now i have a system set in my mind forever. I can remember long numbers so easily now. Actually the amount of number is not important i can remember as much as i really want. So i strongly recommend this author because he has a nice way of explaining the important things. My next book will be Mind mapping.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'm always looking for the next great book to read, and this is something that sounds very exciting. I'll definitely add this author to my reading list.