Linguaholic

What languages do you want to learn next?

turtledove

Wow it's so cool to see all you people so involved in learning so many amazing languages!

Let's see...I'm currently learning Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. Super awesome experience.But it's still going to be a while before I can say that I have master these. I am well on my way though!

As for the future I have my eyes set on Korean and Cantonese Chinese...after that I think I'll be done...with the total of let's see...6 languages! Whew!

Good luck to all of us!

Richard

Wow it's so cool to see all you people so involved in learning so many amazing languages!

Let's see...I'm currently learning Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. Super awesome experience.But it's still going to be a while before I can say that I have master these. I am well on my way though!

As for the future I have my eyes set on Korean and Cantonese Chinese...after that I think I'll be done...with the total of let's see...6 languages! Whew!

Good luck to all of us!

Richard

Sounds good Richard! 6 sounds like a great number. I am at 4 now but I would like to add Spanish and maybe Japanese as well. Spanish will be pretty easy, as I already speak French. But Japanese will still be a tough one, even considering that I know Chinese. It just really helps me with writing and understanding Kanji. But there is so much more when it comes to learning Japanese!

Sounds good Richard! 6 sounds like a great number. I am at 4 now but I would like to add Spanish and maybe Japanese as well. Spanish will be pretty easy, as I already speak French. But Japanese will still be a tough one, even considering that I know Chinese. It just really helps me with writing and understanding Kanji. But there is so much more when it comes to learning Japanese!

Wow! Cool stuff!

Yes I 100% agree with you, it does really help to know the characters in one or the other. It get's messy when the spelling is different though lol. Still helps nevertheless.

I don't know about you but I believe the toughest thing about Japanese is really the grammar. It's extremely extensive. Some of it you use only when speaking politely. Some of only when writing politely. Some of only in semi-informal discussion in a bar. Some of it only between friends. It really goes on and on!

If you're gonna hop on board with Japanese let me know! I'll be happy to share any and all sources that helped me on my way to fluency. Who knows, maybe I'll make my own course one day!

Wow! Cool stuff!

Yes I 100% agree with you, it does really help to know the characters in one or the other. It get's messy when the spelling is different though lol. Still helps nevertheless.

I don't know about you but I believe the toughest thing about Japanese is really the grammar. It's extremely extensive. Some of it you use only when speaking politely. Some of only when writing politely. Some of only in semi-informal discussion in a bar. Some of it only between friends. It really goes on and on!

If you're gonna hop on board with Japanese let me know! I'll be happy to share any and all sources that helped me on my way to fluency. Who knows, maybe I'll make my own course one day!

It really seems like you have a lot of passion for languages! That's great. I am the same!

I completely agree that Grammar is the most difficult thing about Japanese. Chinese Grammar is so simple compared to Japanese Grammar. The cool thing about Japanese is that you don't have to worry too much about Pronunciation. The fact that Chinese is a tonal language does it make considerably more difficult. 

It really seems like you have a lot of passion for languages! That's great. I am the same!

I completely agree that Grammar is the most difficult thing about Japanese. Chinese Grammar is so simple compared to Japanese Grammar. The cool thing about Japanese is that you don't have to worry too much about Pronunciation. The fact that Chinese is a tonal language does it make considerably more difficult. 

Yeah I do! It really opens up doors to new worlds. And when you can talk to people from the other side of the world in their language - which seemed crazy and absolutely incomprehensible to you just years ago - is just priceless. Well, to me anyway!

I 100% agree with you. That's exactly how I feel about these languages. Now while it's refreshing for me that Chinese is not so crazy regarding the grammar sometimes it's driving me crazy how flexible it is. Listening is probably the most difficult for me when it comes to Chinese. Basically there is so many ways to say the same exact thing that it's rather confusing.

I'm sure once I master it I will love it, but until then...grrr

It can be really frustrating at times...that's true. When reading some stuff I always feel like : Ah, now I know most of the vocabulary..just to realize a second later that I still have to look up the next word in the dictionary. There are just so many characters, words and expressions in Chinese...I just really feel like the vocabulary is endless. kinda like in English. English is pretty easy to learn to a certain extent, however, the amount of vocabulary is overwhelming. 

It can be really frustrating at times...that's true. When reading some stuff I always feel like : Ah, now I know most of the vocabulary..just to realize a second later that I still have to look up the next word in the dictionary. There are just so many characters, words and expressions in Chinese...I just really feel like the vocabulary is endless. kinda like in English. English is pretty easy to learn to a certain extent, however, the amount of vocabulary is overwhelming. 

I hear you. It can get tedious with the vocab.

As for Chinese...well, it is challenging for me to recognize which word is which since a lot of it does sound very similarly. Now when the words are used in specific order (great feature of Japanese language!) then I have no problem understanding. But when the grammar of similarly sounding words is the same then I'm in trouble :D

Oh well, I still have a long way to go that's for sure.

Currently I'm learning Spanish, but after I want to learn Russian, Korean, Greek and Portuguese. Strange mix, right? I'm Bulgarian and my parents speak Russian so I want to learn it -- also for those awesome Russian books! Korean sounds pretty to me and I want to understand dramas (lol), I'm part Greek, and Portuguese is really pretty. 

Currently I'm learning Spanish, but after I want to learn Russian, Korean, Greek and Portuguese. Strange mix, right? I'm Bulgarian and my parents speak Russian so I want to learn it -- also for those awesome Russian books! Korean sounds pretty to me and I want to understand dramas (lol), I'm part Greek, and Portuguese is really pretty. 

Why don't you learn Romanian? We are neighbors after all. Now, to be ontopic, Russian should be easy, as you share the same alphabet (I may be wrong, but that's what I remember), but I don't know about Greek and Korean. They are 2 extremely different languages with 2 different alphabets. I am sure 100% that it will be hard as hell to learn them.

On the other hand, Portuguese is really easy. You won't have any problems to master it in a short period of time.

Right now I'm really focusing on getting back into learning French after taking a long absence due to being so busy with school. I feel so out of practice, it's made me very self conscious about my speaking abilities. After I get into a routine of self-teaching though I'd love to add other languages to my repertoire. I'm especially interested in learning American Sign Language. 

When I was in college, I had a French subject and I wanted to be fluent in it. However, I had difficulty in learning it specially in pronunciation (I gave up!). Now, I want to learn Korean or Japanese. I love watching Korean dramas and I want to understand them without the help of English subtitles. Also, I love watching anime that's why I want to learn Japanese too. I had a Japanese boss also that's why I got interested in learning their language for effective communication. But now, I have no spare time to devote in learning new languages. :sad:

All of them!  I love all languages equally.  I think they are beautiful in their own way.  I'm not fluent in anything other than English, but I know a decent amount of French from high school and studying it on my own.  I have even been reading the warnings that they have on cleaners and other items.  You know, the ones that they have in two or three languages.  I'm mostly focused on learning Spanish right now.  It's the most practical one to learn for jobs. 

After I feel like I have a pretty good grip on my Japanese, the next language I want to study is French. French is definitely one of the best sounding languages and would be very useful for me in the future. I'm not sure how long it would take before I could attempt it though. Japanese isn't easy.

I would love to learn German! My good friend speaks German and I find it such an interesting language. Right now I am focusing on learning french, but if I am able to master it I plan to to start trying to learn basic German. Then my friend and I can converse in German. 

I think that I would like to perfect my French. After that, I would like to learn German. Though, I think this will quite harder than learning French for me. You see, my maternal language is Spanish, so French came very natural to me. Yet, I do not know if this will be the case with German. I doubt it, but we will see. What about you guys? What language would you like to learn next? Leave your comments down below.

After learning Korean i'd love to learn Chinese. The reason why I want to learn Chinese is because i'm actually half Chinese, however my mother never learnt it and I feel a sense of guilt whenever i'm hanging out with my Chinese friends. I always feel like I should know it, and i've always been interested in the language however it seems quite daunting for a beginner.