Linguaholic

Why did you start learning languages?

turtledove

I started learning languages as they were compulsory in school. I found them really interesting, so I decided to learn more online from websites like Babbel and Duolingo. Languages are a great way to learn about a country's culture, and I think that it's nice to try and talk to someone in their own language rather than expecting them to know English.

Why did you start learning languages?

At first I thought that if you know a language other than your mother tongue you will have an advantage over other people. But now I think learning a new language is an experience on its own. I may not have a direct benefit for now but I am sure I will enjoy learning. Who knows I might just visit another country in the future and being able to speak their language is somethings that is helpful and to be proud of

I always felt very uncomfortable going to another country and making the people there speak English to me because I couldn't be bothered to learn other languages, so I decided to start learning French and in the future hopefully I'll learn a few more.

I started learning languages when I started to travel. You suddenly understand that with English, you can manage only to a certain point. Besides, the people that you encounter will interact with you differently and you will be able to understand each other better as not everything can be expressed in one language only.

For most cases, even though I had a basic knowledge of the language and was stumbling - people would be very patient and forgiving. Netherlands might be an exception, as they have a tendency to answer in English even if you kindly attempt to speak in Dutch.

I originally started taking Spanish because I had to take it in high school, and I grew to love it. Now, I would love to learn it fluently. I have taken a few courses after high school. I think I need more interaction in order to learn it fluently.

Right now I am studying dutch, I'm only studying it because I need to learn it before I even think of moving there.  I learnt English when I was 16 years old or so :)  That was done for fun, unlike dutch that I feel it's something I really gotta do. 

I've always felt some sort of interest in learning languages, all started when I was 15 years old, after learning English I had plans to learn as many languages as possible, but that plan never materialized :P  So here I am!  Finally learning a third language :)

I'm learning Japanese right now because I'm living here right now! My husband is here for work, and he has a decent grasp on the language but I'm a beginner.

I want to feel comfortable with conversing with people, so that's what inspired me to learn the language.

I have always wanted to be able to speak in another language. I have always found other languages interesting. I knew that I would be able to learn something from taking classes, so I did that. I think that it helped me to get the basis I needed to learn the other languages that I wanted to know.

In the 1990s, I was trying to learn Nihonggo not for me but for my husband. He was employed by a Japanese firm and Nihonggo, no matter how little, was required of them. In support of that, I study at home. However, I easily forget what I had learned simply because I didn't get to use it. So I guess you really have to speak whatever language you study in order to remember it.

I'd always been interested in French, but it was never available to me to learn until I started my degree in Linguistics. So I snapped up the chance to do it as a minor. So for me it was just out of interest and a passion for languages.

Well I didn't choose to learn languages lol, because it was in the school program (French & English) that's how I've learnt both, but for now, I'm in love with the Italian language, and I'm trying to learn it just because I like the way they talk !