Linguaholic

How do you learn a language best?

turtledove

I am currently learning Chinese and it is incredibly challenging to say the least. But the best way I have found to learn a language is first, to have patience. I've been studying Chinese for quite some time and I am not as far as I'd hoped to be when I drew out a plan for myself in the beginning. Second, if you can, definitely find someone who is native in that language, if you can't that's okay. And Third is making sure you keep going! I've seen a lot of people who started to learn a language, then after just a couple weeks give up. I recommend finding a set time every day of the week to study. For me I study an hour or more right before bed, and refresh my memory in the morning. I read somewhere in an article once, that studying something before bed can help with memorizing it. But go by what time you feel is best, because there are also studies that show it will do just the opposite. The most important tools I am using is word lists/dictionaries, Videos, and music. The combination of these 3 are amazing and I really wish I did all three in the beginning.

I have found that I learn languages best when I am surrounded by that language I'm trying to learn, for example if I am in a country full of people speaking it or I'm playing an online game with all the menus in that language, it helps me a lot. Also listening to some music in that language helps me get used with the pronunciation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had great success using apps, such as Duolingo and Memrise. I also learned quite a bit of the German grammar and pronunciation through a book, so I suspect I'm mostly a visual learner. Listening to German music has also helped me a bit with pronunciation too. Another thing is speaking to other people in German. I use an app called HelloTalk for that, and it's so helpful having a person there to correct you and tell you how to word sentences. Keeping a notebook for taking notes is also an excellent for memorization. These all help me immensely.

The best way to learn any language is through audio visual media. It was easy for me to hone my English skill by watching the BBC channel or listening to BBC radio rather than attending English class. Another way to improve language skill is to read loud.

I prefer to learn from other Native speakers. My goal when I start learning initially is to know how it's spoken then afterwards I could start learning how the words are spelled, etc, etc, because I always learn new language so that I when I travel abroad, communication won't be a problem.

That said, if I don't have a friend who is a native speaker [of the language I want to learn], free youtube language lessons and online courses is how I prefer to learn a new language.

This depends largely on which language you are learning. English is my first language, Spanish is my second language, and Chinese is my third language. I learned Spanish to the degree of which I could almost speak it fluently in the matter of a year. This was because I completely submerged myself in the language. I learned Spanish first by chatting with some of my Peruvian friends. I spoke with them in Spanish for two or three months just through typing. Then I spoke with them on Skype and was surprised about how well I spoke the language. This method however did not work as well with Chinese. For Chinese I had to find a personal tutor who patiently worked through the language with me.

I learn a language best by exposure. I immerse myself in the language as much as I can using things that I find enjoyable. For example, I watch Japanese Animes and shows so that I can learn the language easier. I am learning and enjoying at the same time and it doesn't feel like a burden at all. I even try to use some words in my everyday life for me to remember it. 

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience and observation, there should be a purpose of learning a language. I learned English language, and currently English is my working language. I learned French, however, in absence of proper usage, I am banning to forget the language. The best way to learn a language is to have a purpose of learning the language. If you have a purpose, you will continue to use it and develop skills.

WellI think that @FenWoFonhit the nail on the head...PRACTICE.  The more you speak it and listen to it the better you will get...plain and simple.  That said, though, there are surely better ways to go about it.  I would like to think that a nice mix of book learning and interactive learning is the best, and you can get your foundation down while doing the subtle adjustments to the slang that people actually use.  It actually makes me curious as to whether there are any studies out there on the matter.  Might have to look into that.

I find that I learn language best if I am doing an interactive software where I can click and listen to speakers speak. I don't like doing the immersive learning that makes me write sentences in the beginning. I just like to listen and learn first before I start writing with proper punctuation. 

I think the best way to learn a language, from personal experience, is putting it into practical situations, such as watching movies, listening to music, etc. Learning a language word by word, sentence by sentence can be tiring as you can't really connect any of the things you learn to actual situations in your life. When you learn a language through media, it's fun and engaging, it doesn't feel like you're dragging yourself rather than enjoying yourself.

• 5 weeks later...

I personally just use the literature of that language including the movies and more importantly the television news bulletins and newspaper.

At the start, you would get irritated hence you would barely understand half the things and this sheer irritation would provoke you to explore more and learn more about the language and soon enough, it would be easy for you to understand and speak.

At least, that's the way I opt for and I am able to learn them quite easily.

I usually interact with friends who speak the language that I am interested in. This helps me to know the correct pronunciation besides knowing the spellings. YouTube videos are a good way to learn new languages. You can also have books to refer to whatever you watch. Online courses can also help one to learn a new language. 

There is no single method to learn a language.  Learning in class, immersion with friends, frequent practice, reading books - all these can help your language proficiency the traditional way.  Language apps, video tutorials on YouTube, and various new media will supplement your traditional learning skills.  Sometimes there are those who will choose either the traditional or the modern way, but to me it is better if both are synthesized.  By learning both methods, your language skills will gradually improve without you even knowing it.

Listening to songs sang in a local language can help one as they learn a new language. Riddles do offer a broader meaning and understanding. One can use online translation tools to to know what they usually mean. I have always liked attending classes where I can learn new languages. Chatting with native speakers is a good way of knowing sentence construction as per the language you are interested in.