Linguaholic

Hardest Language You've Ever Tried to Learn

tulosai

Interestingly my own mother tongue language Tamil is one of the toughest languages to master. I found it extremely difficult to go beyond the basics of the language. The grammar is extremely difficult and there are loads of tongue twisters!

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

The hardest language I've ever tried to learn was Japanese. I didn't do very well in Japanese class when I was in high school because I had a hard time trying to pronounce to words. It was somehow similar to Chinese, but I thought Japanese confused me more than Chinese itself.

• 3 weeks later...

German for me. The masculine and feminine words just drive me nuts lol

I've been there  :sick:

Once I got that down, the wholen language just opened for me.

Considering the fact that I only know Hindi and English, and have only tried to learn Japanese and German, I'll say that Japanese is the most difficult language I've tried to learn. It's just that the language is so different from the ones I know, that starting from the ground up becomes very difficult.

My hardest languages were:

French - pronunciation is very difficult, nothing sounds as it seems!

Hindi - I knew this language, but lost touch. I cannot seem to learn it again because it isn't offered as commonly, and everything is in script.

The hardest language I have ever tried to learn is Chinese. Chinese is so difficult for me to learn because of how different it is from English. The letters are no where near similar to English.

Yeah, I hear that. I bought a computer program for it and thought I was doing okay, but it's just so difficult. I think I lasted maybe two or three weeks and grew tired of it. I thought I had the basic numbers down pretty well, but I can't remember any of them now. It's just one those things my brain can't process properly I think.  :laugh:

I think that Chinese language is the hardedt language i have ever learned. My native language do not have a nice handwriting like Chinese. Then i have to remember how to write a word in Chinese. And sometimes i really want to give up on it, and I just want know how to speak and listen from Chinese, I do not want to study Writing in Chinese anymore.

I think that Speaking and Listening skill id good enough for me to make a conversation with Chinese people.

French is totally foreign and outside the realm of pronunciations I have grew up with, so even though I would like to learn it badly, it's been really difficult to pronounce and even remember the words. I don't have as much trouble with learning Japanese and Chinese, because they are similar to my own native language to some degree. I have to say I've had the most difficult time with French, even though some other languages might prove to be even more difficult.

The hardest one I've ever tried is Polish. Way too different pronunciation from greek and any other language I've been in touch with (greek, spanish and english). Fun language though!

• 1 year later...

I wonder why Hungarian hasn't been mentioned yet. The worst one ever for me, had to give up it. German is also difficult for me - but not to the extent Hungarian was! All the European languages I'm learning have some similarities between them. But Hungarian? You open a book and you don't see a single word you could guess the meaning of! And the grammar was like... pure nightmare. Makes my hair stand on end at the very thought of it.

The hardest language I have tried to learn was Japanese. I could not get the symbols down. I like the way it sounds, but I can not learn how to read and write it. I wish I knew an easier way. It is just not the way my mind thinks. 

The most difficult language I ever tried to learn was Korean. It's even harder than learning Japanese. They both have the same grammatical structure, but the pronunciation in Korean is much more complicated, and Koreans are a lot more particular about correct pronunciation. 
On the other hand, I did learn hangeul fairly quickly, whereas I still have a lot of kanji to memorize.

@Cave Bear At least they are eager to correct ;) That way you learn faster :)  I actually wish the dutch speakers around me were more eager to correct me, bac in the day I made a lot mistakes (while learning English) because no one dare to correct me, lol.  It's better to be corrected, turst me. I don't mind it at all, even in written form.  I keep asking my fiance to help me more by correcting me when I write something wrong in dutch, but he is so lazy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hands down I think learning Japanese, Chinese and Korean are some of the hardest languages to learn for an English speaking native, because these languages are so different then English.  I think it is a lot easier for an English speaking native to learn one of the romantic languages (Spanish, Italian etc.) as opposed to an Asian or even Arabic language.  These have very little similarities between them. 

I think Chinese would be absolutely hard to learn and master for me. It is definitely one of the languages I would really love to learn, along with Japanese, but I`m not sure that I will have any success in this endeavor. Chinese sounds totally alien to me, because I have only learned Latin and German-based languages so far. Even Japanese sounds more familiar then Chinese.

• 4 weeks later...

Anything of the asian dialect... Pronunciation, pronunciation, pronunciation!!! Not only that but that the alphabet, is either the same or completely different and not only that, but you have to deal with the writing of their characters and not to miss read the characters as a differnt language like with Japanese and Chinese, cause the characters that they use are almost completely the same... So yeah... It's gonna kill me...  

Hm, I only tried learning Spanish and French aside from English and I came to this thread thinking about saying French because it really was a tough language for me to learn and in the end I didn't even learn it. But then I read about you guys talking about Chinese and Hungarian and I think I'll just go grab myself a corner and cower in shame haha :D

My step dad is Danish, and for a while I took an interest in learning the language. I got him to give me a new lessons and we never even got out of the basics because I couldn't get my tongue wrapped around the words. It's too far removed from any language I've ever had any dealings with, and in the end I just gave up LOL I find all Scandinavian languages hard. I also think it doesn't help that I don't find how they sound very appealing....sorry.