Linguaholic

Hiring a domestic help for English

CorieHens

In the middle east, the hiring of a domestic help is primarily for the house chores but most of the housemaid from the Philippines are also being used as tutors for English. It is a neat scheme of getting 2 in one package. And the best thing is that Philippine housemaids are good in English because it is their second language.

You learn something new every day and I honestly didn't know that. Is English taught at school? Over here we have a semi choice in what other language we want to learn, but it's down to English or German and there are maybe 2 or 3 schools in the whole country where you learn French.

You learn something new every day and I honestly didn't know that. Is English taught at school? Over here we have a semi choice in what other language we want to learn, but it's down to English or German and there are maybe 2 or 3 schools in the whole country where you learn French.

The best thing in my country, is you start learning french in your 3rd year at school, after that you start learning english in the 6th year, so we learn them both and I really like that because it helped to have 2 extra languages in my life :P

The best thing in my country, is you start learning french in your 3rd year at school, after that you start learning english in the 6th year, so we learn them both and I really like that because it helped to have 2 extra languages in my life :P

I think that is a good way to learn a new language which is to start early. Good for you it was part of your elementary curriculum to learn French. In my country English is the counterpart of your French at an early age. Previous generations in my country were taught Spanish in college but during my time that was no longer being implemented too bad.

Here in our country, Philippines, the primary medium of instruction for most schools is English. I would love to study other languages though such as French and Japanese. :)

Here in our country, Philippines, the primary medium of instruction for most schools is English. I would love to study other languages though such as French and Japanese. :)

We used to have Spanish subjects in college but it was taken off the curriculum some decades back. From what I know, Spanish is still an elective subject, meaning you can take those subjects and earn units for your course. In the years before I was born, Spanish was prevalent and spoken by many. But it was overshadowed by English particularly because English was the medium of instruction in schools.

• 4 weeks later...

We used to have Spanish subjects in college but it was taken off the curriculum some decades back. From what I know, Spanish is still an elective subject, meaning you can take those subjects and earn units for your course. In the years before I was born, Spanish was prevalent and spoken by many. But it was overshadowed by English particularly because English was the medium of instruction in schools.

It could have been better if they still offer Spanish in college because it is a useful language. When I was still working I envied those mommies who are working as bi-lingual agents because they earn more than a regular agent like me.

I'm not at all surprised by this because I have done it too. Many years ago, I went to Italy as an au pair. But part of the agreement with my host family was that I would also teach their young children English, while I learnt some Italian too. It worked out great :)