Linguaholic

Reverse translation

I read it is a common technique used in translate websites, so much that they should plan this usage when they design translators, it is about reverse translation. Basically, instead of translating your writing from your native language to your target language, you write something in your target language, and you translate it to your native language to look if it is correct or not. That's it.

I must admit I use this technique but I wonder if many people here knows this technique and use it. Also, I want to get your thoughts about the results of it, after all, we all look for either the more amusing or most efficient way of learning/writing.

• 4 weeks later...

In theory, it sounds like an interesting idea. there are a few pitfalls though. Firstly, this technique is of little use to someone who doesn't have a very good grasp of that particular language.

Secondly, different languages have a different syntax. As an example, I might say "Florence's dress is green". Translate that into French then translate that back into English and you'll get "The dress of Florence is green". Whilst that is a perfectly good literal translation, it does not follow the rules of the English language and is not something we would naturally say.

On 27.9.2015 at 2:11 AM, humanoid said:

In theory, it sounds like an interesting idea. there are a few pitfalls though. Firstly, this technique is of little use to someone who doesn't have a very good grasp of that particular language.

Secondly, different languages have a different syntax. As an example, I might say "Florence's dress is green". Translate that into French then translate that back into English and you'll get "The dress of Florence is green". Whilst that is a perfectly good literal translation, it does not follow the rules of the English language and is not something we would naturally say.

Reverse Translation

I think your post exactly shows the reverse, and I think the same: it is more helpful for beginners than for someone experienced, even if it is still useful. And to be honest, I think you didn't got exactly the reverse way.

Basically, for example, your target language is Spanish. So, you first think of your sentence in your native language, in English. Then, you write your translation humanly in Spanish, and then you do automatic translation from Spanish to English. In general, the translator will only do weird sentences when either your structure is too much complex (and then, why would you need reverse translation?) or you are doing something wrong. However, you have to check yourself with your Spanish knowledge what's going wrong.

I don't think the reverse translation will work with a lot of languages, specially if you are trying to translate the words literally. The translated sentences will be either senseless or will lose their true meaning along the way. There are colloquialisms in every language that can not be translated literally, reverse or not.

I don't think the reverse translation will work with a lot of languages, specially if you are trying to translate the words literally. The translated sentences will be either senseless or will lose their true meaning along the way. There are colloquialisms in every language that can not be translated literally, reverse or not.

The thing is that in reverse translation, you know what words' string is special, and what feels natural in your language. However, as much rules as possibles will be tried to taken out and extracted from the translated target language text to your native language one. Remember, the purpose is not to give the result, it is to help the correction of your text by watching the mistakes and, if they are relevant, find it. And a computer remembers rules better than you, so it will try to represent these rules in the translated text. What I think about mainly is the missing little word in a sentence, an error about grammar, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it.  It actual does work very well for me.  If you are trying to translate something from your native language to another language, you can get mixed up.  Grammar and sentence structure is very different in many languages, so reverse translation helps greatly. 

• 8 months later...

Reverse Translation

I think Reverse translation is a very powerful tool. Of course you'll need to get feedback and/or corrections from a native-like speaker in the target language, but over time, it can not only help you structure sentences better, but also deeply learn the vocabulary because you are spending more time with it, putting it into real context.