Linguaholic

Question to the Japanese people.. If any.

Bekang

Hello all,

If there's any Japanese people around here, I'd like to know how you pronounce 'a, e, i, o and u'. I'm asking this because in the movie (anime) I saw recently, they seem to pronounce it in a way that we also do. If possible please record your voice or kindly give me a recorded audio if you have any.

PS : If there are any Chinese people. I'd like to know how you pronounce 'h, s and f'.

Thank you very much,

- Bekang.

• 1 month later...

If you know hiragana, you should already know how Japanese pronounce the vowels. I recommend checking out YouTube and searching for Japanese pronunciation and you'll quickly find lots of videos where you can hear how Japanese vowels sound. In a nutshell, I would say Japanese vowels are similar to Spanish for those that want a quick way to explain the difference between English vowels. 

I never had problems with any Japanese sounds, because all Japanese sounds are equal to the ones in Dutch and Polish together (except that "Y" and "J" are interchangeage in both languages unlike in Japanese).
However, I understand if your native language is English or Spanish, both languages have quite different sounds from Japanese (like "E" in Japanese = "A" in English, and the "J" in Spanish doesn't exist in Japanese at all).

PS : If there are any Chinese people. I'd like to know how you pronounce 'h, s and f'.

I'm not Chinese, but h is pronounced like h in english, often with a little friction like the ch in loch. S and f are about the same as the english s and f.

• 7 months later...