Linguaholic

What is Hardest- Reading, Writing, or Speaking?

tulosai

Speaking and writing are the hardest for me.I've always had a problem creating sentences. With reading, all I have to do is read already made sentences! Luckily my speaking is getting better;however, I still have an accent that I'm trying to work on.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm currently learning German and get familiar with all these long words is taking a while. So I'm finding speaking much easier than reading/writing as the spelling is hard. I think speaking is probably the easiest with most languages though.

If it's a new language I'm just starting to learn, I definitely find it hard to write the language. Speaking is easy because I could easily mimic it. It's the writing and the technicalities involved with it that's hard.

If it's my first time learning the language, I would say it would be hard to read and write with it. Because speaking could be easy. You can just always listen to people and imitate. But definitely hard to write and read with it.

Yes you are right, the most difficult of them all is writing. 'A' in another language may be something else. It is not to say that we should not make an effort to write. When we do make an effort, we will definitely be able to write it also as we speak it.

For me it's the speaking which is the hardest part and let me explain why. When you read or write you are by yourself and can use time and effort to really concentrate on the subject and give it your 100%. But when you are speaking you have to come up with the correct words in the right order and right pronunciation quite fast as you're probably speaking to someone.

I agree speaking is the hardest for me. As a non-native speaker, you have to be on your toes to make sure your pronunciation, subject-verb agreement and tense are all correct in a natural way and with the speed of normal talking/conversation. I find reading and writing much easier for language learners because you can take your time comprehending, decoding words, and thinking of (or even looking up) the right word. I find this is interesting because you learn to talk and understand others in your native tongue as a toddler before you learn to read and write in school. Exposure and immersion in the language is the real key to fluid speaking, writing and reading skills.

I find none of the above at all particularly difficult, writing would be the one I would have had more difficulty with when I was in my honors English class, but that's due to the fact I prefer being able to speak than reading or writing.

Speaking is the hardest for me. It goes so fast that my brains sometimes doesn't want to cooperate. I even have trouble with Polish sometimes, which is my mother tongue. Listening can be hard too because native speakers usually don't speak in the way that we learn a language. For example, I understand most German on tv but when I went to Germany I had trouble understanding what people said, because they were speaking a German slang.

For me it's definitely speaking (and listening).

If I'm writing I have way more time to think about word choices, grammar etc., whereas everything needs to be fast while speaking. Reading is easier than listening to me, partly for the same reason, but also because I don't need to identify single words from the mumbling of some native speaker.

Speaking, by far its speaking!  I can pick up a new language fairly quickly when I am reading it but learning it just by speaking  really drives me crazy.  I'm not sure why that is but probably its due to the fact that I am primarily a visual person.  Without seeing it in writing really slows down my ability to learn. 

Oh speaking without a doubt. I read French quite fluently but plonk me down in France and it'll take me a few days before I feel at home speaking.

I guess the lack of confidence is what might make speaking more difficult than reading. However, once you are confident enough that you can be able to speak a foreign language, speaking will be easier than reading and writing.

I personally find that, in general, writing and speaking are the hardest aspects of learning a language. Anything involving production is harder than anything involving consumption (reading, listening), in my opinion.

Of course, listening to native speakers before you know all the "shortcuts" people use when speaking can be pretty confusing. For example, somebody learning Spanish will have a very hard time fully understanding a latin american Spanish speaker due to how many sounds we ignore and such.

The hardest for me is definitely speaking. Your speaking ability can say alot about you. It can show people if you're confident or not, it conveys that you know what you're talking about.

Sometimes I stutter and unarrange words when I'm talking fast, so that's a problem.

Writing, on the other hand is easy for me. I can review what I wrote, I can edit it what I wrote, but when it comes to speaking, I can't take back anything I said.

I agree with many that speaking is the hardest out of the three. I'm usually good with writing and reading all though I'll make some mistakes here. But when it comes to speaking, I just freeze. I think it takes a while for my brain to process speech production when it comes to foreign languages. I can listen and understand what is being said but I just can't seem to reciprocate. I always hated oral presentations when I was in school.

For me, it's writing. That's because writing involves a lot of supporting skills. Like now, when I am learning Arabic. The Arabic script goes from right to left. That's the first hurdle. Then the Arabic letters change form according to their place in a word. That's pretty confusing for someone like me who's totally at home with English.

Writing has and will always be the most difficult aspect of learning another language. The issue that I have is that within many languages there are their own personal spelling and grammatical rules. For example, in the English language we have those oh so common silent letters that pop into words. The words "weight" "knife" and "aisle" are perfect examples. While in French, there are rules that tell you when to and when not to pronounce certain consonant sounds. Overall, yes, for me I would say that writing is the hardest part of a language.

Well, for me it's reading out loud. I read pretty slowly and I'm also kind of a nervous public speaker, so my reading is.. quite difficult. My reading flow is really awkward at times. I think for more extroverted people reading must be a lot easier.

I suppose really it is dependant on what you yourself are used to, I am more used to speaking and reading and I find it easier to convey what I mean by speaking English and whilst I don't have a terrible time with writing, I find it a little more difficult than the two priors.

I find listening and reading to be the easiest because you can use context clues to help you. Writing and speaking are the hardest because everything is up to you. Also, nowadays everyone types more than anything so writing doesn't get much practice. As for speaking practice, it really depends on how much effort you put in.

Overcoming an accent is the most difficult thing, in my opinion. There's a large hurdle to overcome between being fluent in a language and being able to speak without any noticeable accent. It sometimes takes a while before you can appear "natural" in a free-flowing conversation.