Linguaholic

Learning Chavacano de Zamboaanga

zurcminister

Chavacano de Zamboanga is a unique language from Zamboanga, city province in the Island of Mindanao in the Philippines. What is unique about this language is the fact that it is a cross between Spanish, Latin, Bisaya, and Tagalog and is therefore, referred to as broken Spanish. Does anyone here have an idea of the language. If you do happen to have an idea of it, may you share or teach us the basics of the language. I hope you can help out guys. Thank you and more power to all of us. 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Oh well perhaps this language is not yet famous all over the world and perhaps the language needs more exposure as it is only in the Philippines that it can be found but I have you guys give it a chance to be explored and recognized not as a major language but as one of those very unique languages in the lesser known parts of the world.

The mixture of the language is really interesting. I cannot imagine what a mix of spanish and latin and Philippine dialects would sound like. But it is sure fascinating. Would be cool to have more info on this particular language.

My former boss speaks Chavacano I heard him speak this dialect while he was on the phone and I thought it was the Spanish language as I heard him use some familiar terms. I did not know then that it was a combination of some dialects. Philippines has been a colony of Spain for more than 300 years but they forbid the natives from learning their language which lead me to think now how the people from Zamboanga managed to learn and incorporate it in their own dialect.

Yes the language is truly amazing. I am going in and out of Zamboanga for work and would really like to learn the language. I also find it very cool as I am like learning Spanish, mixed with Tagalog, Bisaya and even Ilonggo or Hiligaynon. I am amazed when people start to speak Chavacano and I cannot help but stand in awe and that is why I am trying to learn Chavacano. I have been trying to research through the net but there is little information in the internet and I hope to find even a dictionary to start my learning process. Still the same, I will have to ask people I know in Zamboanga to teach me and hopefully I will learn it slowly but surely.

I've never heard about that language before. Sounds really interesting. Could you please share some audio? That would be awesome! Is it a language people speak on the Phillipines? I was just aware of Visayan, Tagalog (Filipion) and Cebuano.

bW

Lingua

Chavacano de Zamboanga is a unique language from Zamboanga, city province in the Island of Mindanao in the Philippines. What is unique about this language is the fact that it is a cross between Spanish, Latin, Bisaya, and Tagalog and is therefore, referred to as broken Spanish. Does anyone here have an idea of the language. If you do happen to have an idea of it, may you share or teach us the basics of the language. I hope you can help out guys. Thank you and more power to all of us.

I am from the Philippines, and as far as I know, Chavacano is a dialect here in our country. I believe it is another variant of Bisaya. I don't know how to speak Chavacano though. I am only fluent in Tagalog. But yeah, you are right. It is mixed Spanish and Bisaya. It is actually pretty interesting to learn.

Chavacano de Zamboanga for the information of everyone not in the know is a cross between Spanish and Latin and contains mixes and touches of Visayan and Ilonggo and some words from other islands which make it very unique from other languages of the Philippines.

I wonder if Chavacano de Zamboanga also has the nosotros , vosotros, estar, and all those things that make learning a bit hard. Would you know? I am hoping that this dialect is easier to learn compared with the Spanish and or Latin.

I happened to meet a colleague from Zamboanga in one of our work assignments in Cebu. She is good in English so her Chavacano is only for our amusement. But I find that Chavacano has many words that are similar to Spanish. But I find it a beautiful language with that mix of origins.

Yes I also loved the mix of Spanish and more Filipino dialects and this is the reason why I love to learn the language. I was hoping to find a dictionary from one of the book stores here, but was disappointed to find that no such book is available. In the internet, I found a few site but they have limited information.

I am from the Philippines, and as far as I know, Chavacano is a dialect here in our country. I believe it is another variant of Bisaya. I don't know how to speak Chavacano though. I am only fluent in Tagalog. But yeah, you are right. It is mixed Spanish and Bisaya. It is actually pretty interesting to learn.

I am trying to learn the language and have found a very willing teacher in the person of my girlfriend who promised to teach me. I managed to learn to phrase from her today. First is this, Cosa de tuyo nombre which means What is your name in English. Another is, Onde tu ta queda which means Where do you live in English. Pretty cool right? As you can see it has a very close correlation to Spanish because the Philippines was after, colonized by Spain back then. I wish to learn more in the coming days and I hope you learn with me too.

I am trying to learn the language and have found a very willing teacher in the person of my girlfriend who promised to teach me. I managed to learn to phrase from her today. First is this, Cosa de tuyo nombre which means What is your name in English. Another is, Onde tu ta queda which means Where do you live in English. Pretty cool right? As you can see it has a very close correlation to Spanish because the Philippines was after, colonized by Spain back then. I wish to learn more in the coming days and I hope you learn with me too.

Wow that is pretty cool! Good thing you have your girlfriend to teach you! I have yet to meet someone who knows Chavacano de Zamboanga. It seems like a very interesting dialect and I would love to hear it spoken in personal. I know that most Filipino dishes are touched with a hint of Spanish. Even some words in Tagalog are derived from the Spanish language. But Chavacano seems to be more close to the Spanish language. Thanks for sharing your new knowledge! Looking forward to learning more from you!

Yes my friend, she also wants to learn Ilonggo or Hiligaynon from me too which is the native language of Iloilo and other province in the Western part of Visayas in the Philippines. It is also spoken in parts of Mindanao in the southern part of the Philippines. So I learn Chavacano from her and I teach her Ilonggo. Nice deal right? Looking forward to learning more and teaching her as well because I get to be close to her very often because of which and keeps the relationship exciting because we have something to learn each and every day. 

Can you please tell about the language where it comes from and specific country?

It is a one of the many native languages of the Philippines, JasleenKaur, specifically in Zamboanga City, often referred to as Asia's Latin City because of its Spanish and Latin inspired taste of things in the Southern part of the Philippines in the island of Mindanao.. Chavacano as a language is a mix of Spanish, Filipino, Latin and Visayan which makes it unique and pleasant to the ears.   

It is a one of the many native languages of the Philippines, JasleenKaur, specifically in Zamboanga City, often referred to as Asia's Latin City because of its Spanish and Latin inspired taste of things in the Southern part of the Philippines in the island of Mindanao.. Chavacano as a language is a mix of Spanish, Filipino, Latin and Visayan which makes it unique and pleasant to the ears.   

Thank you.