Linguaholic

Learning a language in later life.

humanoid

I haven't really studied languages since I left college back in 1999. However, I've managed to keep up with things and achieve fluency in both French and German.

Recently though, I've started learning Polish. It seems so much harder to learn than the other languages and I was really just wondering whether this is typical of new students or is it more likely to be down to my age (I'm now 38) and the fact I haven't studied seriously for many years? How have other people got along with learning to speak Polish? I'd love to know.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It is probably due to a lot of reasons. There is a possibility that you find it difficult to learn another language because you are already in your prime age. And it could also be because you haven't done much studies after you graduated from college. However, I think you will eventually find your rhythm. Just try to keep your focus.

I believe age does play a factor when you try to learn new languages. While it is definitely possible to learn a new language when you're older, it's just much, much harder compared to learning them at an early age. I believe children and teens (depending on the age) generally have it much easier, which is why parents tend to make them to learn a second language at a very early age, or learn two languages at once.

Learning a new language is quite a challenge for me although I am still under 30 years old. For you to be able to learn two other languages and now you are on the process of learning a new one is a good indication that you are good at it. Not everyone is interested or good at Math, or science I think that also goes to learning a new language.

There's been research done to prove it's harder to learn a new language, the older you get. So If I were you, i wouldn't be so hard on myself. It'll be difficult, but certainly not impossible. Just persevere with it, I'm sure you'll slowly get there providing you're passionate and driven to learn it. I have a Polish friend and each time I hear her speaking her language on the phone, I can't help but think it sounds difficult. I wish you the best of luck :)