Linguaholic

The four different learning types

Wow that is a great article! Too bad it's in German.:/ I can probably say that I'm a reader. I always understand concepts more when I read them. I tend to have unclear hearing at times so that will not work for me. I also tried writing when reviewing and it works great but eats up a lot of my time. So reading is the only way that is efficient and fast for me to learn. My husband has a photographic memory so visual images certainly help him in learning.

I think I am both a listener and a reader. There would be times that I find just simply listening to the teacher an effective way for me to learn. If the teacher is really good at explaining the lessons, I could be able to understand them much easier. Sometimes though, I just do self-study and reading is my favorite way of acquiring knowledge.

It's in German, but no problemo. Google Translate is here to save the day (with it's rather poor translation, but that's okay).

I think I would fall into the third category, "3) The third type of learner is the type of reader.".. whatever that means. But I'm assuming it means people who learn best from reading. That's me. I LOVE reading. I learned most if not all of my English from reading comics, novels and random articles on the internet.. oh and urban dictionary. It has saved and taught me more than once. Kudos to that website. Anyway yes, It takes a while, but it's the learning way that I enjoy the most out of all the ways listed in that article.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really great share. Sometimes when we are trying to learn a new language it becomes hard when you are expected to conform to one, singular model of learning. I like that this offers multiple options. As a more visual learning myself I always find it helps to extend beyond just the reading and speaking, but to really use the visual cues to help me learn and remember. 

Great article! (needed Google translation though, which was somewhat poor). I'm definitely a reader and the visual type. Probably why I love reading books (particularly fantasy) with some illustrations.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't agree with that. Whenever newest research shows something that is contrary to my own experience, I stick with my experience.

Research may prove that learning things before going to sleep is no better than any other part of the day, but if it works for me, why should I stop?

Research has shown vitamin C does not cure common cold but if I feel better after eating those 3 huge oranges, why not do it?

Besides, it also changes all the time. The things that scientists believed in 50 years ago are often quite far apart from what they believe today.

If I remember 10 words out of 50 when I listen to them and 30 out of 50 when I write them, I'll go on writing them. I think that it is quite obvious all people are different and what works well for one person, does not necessarily work at all for another. So yes, I'm still a believer in learning styles because that's a handy word for describing a set of conditions that make the learning process easier and more efficient for a given person.

If I remember 10 words out of 50 when I listen to them and 30 out of 50 when I write them, I'll go on writing them. I think that it is quite obvious all people are different and what works well for one person, does not necessarily work at all for another. So yes, I'm still a believer in learning styles because that's a handy word for describing a set of conditions that make the learning process easier and more efficient for a given person.

Did you watch the video? I agree with the first 2 sentences in the quote, and I think that the guy in the video would too. The problem is labeling it "learning styles" and then trying to do a whole lot more with it than what you mention. 

Did you watch the video? I agree with the first 2 sentences in the quote, and I think that the guy in the video would too. The problem is labeling it "learning styles" and then trying to do a whole lot more with it than what you mention. 

I watched the better part of and I didn't like it that learning styles were shown to be so primitive (ie visual vs auditory). It's like saying somebody's temperament is choleric or sanguine whereas in actual fact it's a weird mix of this and that. Maybe I didn't get it right and the whole point of the video was to criticize oversimplification - if so, I totally agree. I thought that by "learning style" people mean a combination of methods that are unique and useful to a particular person.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a reader and I also need graphics and  photos. I have to be able to SEE what I'm learning as well as read about it so that I can connect the two and create a stronger bond in my mind. If I don't have photos or some kind of visual, I most likely won't be able to remember. I'm not audio at all. I can hear something and forget about it in less than 5 minutes. LOL. I'm usually horrible when people tell me their names, but if I make a point to remember their face as well, I'll usually do better at remembering who they are.

Learning a new language will require me a lot of time and discipline. I think if there are audio files or video tutorials it would help me a lot to learn a foreign language. I will be bored with reading a text book or online lessons and would lose my interest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2015, 7:48:28, Tyrell said:

It's in German, but no problemo. Google Translate is here to save the day (with it's rather poor translation, but that's okay).

I think I would fall into the third category, "3) The third type of learner is the type of reader.".. whatever that means. But I'm assuming it means people who learn best from reading. That's me. I LOVE reading. I learned most if not all of my English from reading comics, novels and random articles on the internet.. oh and urban dictionary. It has saved and taught me more than once. Kudos to that website. Anyway yes, It takes a while, but it's the learning way that I enjoy the most out of all the ways listed in that article.

Hm, I can't get Google Translate to work. Little help, Lady Tyrell? :)

Anyway, I did a similar test to this recently and I've got the result that I'm a listener which I don't really agree with and feel like I learn best when reading text combined with graphs and stuff like that. I wouldn't mind checking this one as well. 

On 02/10/2015, 22:02:44, CourseFindersGermany said:

Are you a listener, a reader, a writer or do you always need photos or graphics?

Huh? So speakers don't exist?